Cat gets tired easily

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have soon to be 1 year old cat (bday next week), medium haired. 11lbs. he gets tired out easily. he door dashes a lot and thought it was the heat, i live in arizona. but its monsoon season and theres days when it feels super nice in the evenings, super windy, fresh, about to storm. and when hes out at times like that, he still pants. and im left thinking "how are you already panting when it feels so nice out??" (and no worries, hes never left unsupervised when outside) i dont consider him overweight, if anything maybe a body score of 5/9. sometimes i wonder if its a medical issue. everything else is fine. im just curious on what people here think.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had him checked by a vet?
Quite often adult cats are very lazy and 16+ hours spent sleeping or lazing around is not at all unusual
A 1 year old normally is a bit more active though

We are having a heatwave here where I am and we are all flaked out most of the day, more sleeping than usual.

If in doubt, consult your vet. Panting is not normal in a cat and should be investigated.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he has not been seen, not for this anyways. hes perfectly fine indoors. he pants after rough playtime just like my other cat, although my other cat (a month younger) takes a bit for him to start panting after playtime, hes shorthaired. problem isnt being lazy, he still get his zoomies. he basically gets tired out a lot faster than my other cat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he has not been seen, not for this anyways. hes perfectly fine indoors. he pants after rough playtime just like my other cat, although my other cat (a month younger) takes a bit for him to start panting after playtime, hes shorthaired. problem isnt being lazy, he still get his zoomies. he basically gets tired out a lot faster than my other cat.
If it is only happening after you play with them do not worry too much, but maybe let them rest instead of playing with them if the weather is hot. Coping with heat when you have cats can be a challenge.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely have him checked by a vet, there's probably only a small chance it's a medical issue but it could be a very serious issue if that is the cause (and be sure to check for other signs of lethargy or overheating). Also tell your vet how long it takes each cat to start panting - maybe your medium haired cat is in a normal range and your short haired cat has an abundance of energy! Your vet will be able to provide some perspective.
Cat Panting: Causes and When it's an Emergency | Veterinary Emergency Group
Heat Exhaustion in Cats: Is Your Cat Overheating? | BeChewy

Excess fur on cats traps heat, so daily grooming during heatwaves to get rid of dead hair will make your cat feel a little more comfortable
Top tips for keeping your cat cool in summer
FURMINATOR Long Hair Cat Deshedding Tool, Purple, Medium - Chewy.com

Grooming can also help keep him cool, especially since longer hair traps more heat than short hair. We use a Furminator for our cats and I'm amazed by how well it works. This article has other tips and tricks to help him regulate his heat - the ice cubes and cooling mats are great ideas! And your vet is probably very familiar with helping pets manage hot weather, they likely have more recommendations based on their experience.

8 cooling products to keep your cat comfortable in hot weather
This list has some really good suggestions, but I don't think the tiny tent is a good idea (although it's so cute!) - it seems like it would just trap heat inside. There are probably better ways to provide some shade.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im not too worried about it now. but i will bring it up to the vet when its time for his yearly shots and visit later this year. unless it gets worse. i just wish he would stop door dashing in this terrible hot weather which triggers the panting. i have noticed hes been shedding more lately. i had googled a while back about winter coats cause my shorthaired cat had more fur in the winter, i then learned it was a winter coat. so now im assuming my medium haired is getting his summer coat? will have to get him a brush if it actually helps keep them cool. i didnt know that

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im not too worried about it now. but i will bring it up to the vet when its time for his yearly shots and visit later this year. unless it gets worse. i just wish he would stop door dashing in this terrible hot weather which triggers the panting. i have noticed hes been shedding more lately. i had googled a while back about winter coats cause my shorthaired cat had more fur in the winter, i then learned it was a winter coat. so now im assuming my medium haired is getting his summer coat? will have to get him a brush if it actually helps keep them cool. i didnt know that
I find a Zoom Groom (which is a type of rubber brush) is excellent for use on shorthairs to remove loose fur, and it tends to be well tolerated, gives a bit of a massage too as you groom them. Obviously longhairs require a bit more in terms of coat care, but if you have a cat that doesn't normally need grooming, then I'd recommend trying a Zoom Groom.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on - I've had a thought and have just re-read your first post.

Does he *only* do this when he is outside or near an open door?

Could it be that he is sniffing the air rather than panting?

Felines (as well as some other mammals) have an additional gland in their mouths which detects scent, and when they smell something interesting to them, they open their mouths and draw air into their open mouth to better smell all the interesting stuff. This is called a flehmen response and would be a normal response in an indoor cat being exposed to air outside and all the scents it carries that the cat may not be used to.

Sometimes when they do it they make little huffing (or perhaps panting? type) noises as they draw air in through their mouth.

Could it have been this that you have observed, rather than panting due to heat or over-exertion? If so it is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

I am going to see if I can post a link to a youtube video of a cat doing it so you can compare.

I would still mention it to the vet at your next visit, so they can listen to his heart and lungs and see if there are any issues there - never hurts to check!

Last edited:

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can get tired, pretty easily, and adult cats are well-known for sleeping many hours each day.

Some cats open their mouths when they're detecting scents (the "flehmen reaction").

So, it might not be panting.

However, undue or unusual panting can be indicative of a problem.

So, it's advisable to have your cat checked by a veterinarian. Just to be safe.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
so i do not think its sniffing. it really does looking like plain panting. so today, i was playing with them and within 5 mins, he was panting. and i was going back and forth between the 2 cats so its not like he was even playing for the 5 minutes straight. i stopped so he can relax.
any opinions about shaving him? we live in a house where half the a/c vents dont work so the living room and kitchen area are not the coolest. his next vaccine due date is in october so i will make an appt then.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fur can help a cat regulate his body temperature, so shaving might not be a good idea and may not keep him any cooler. You said he is outdoor only under supervision, so I assume he is basically an indoor cat. Look at the list of cooling options and products in #4 in this thread and see if any would work for you.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So what about a haircut instead a shave?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have clipped hair on cats when necessary due to mats or injuries, but that still leaves a basic undercoat.