cat gets sick around other cat

mcdonaj1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I break any rules. Basically I'm a new cat owner and have two cats each about 6 months old. I got both cats from the shelter last Saturday (the 3rd) and both cats are great. However, one of the cats is terrified of the other cat. So much that he drools everytime he sees her, he doesn't try to hide he just drools. If I don't put him in a seperate room he will vomit. It's gross, but also I worry about him getting dehydrated. Around me he is fine, but I don't know what to do if I put him in his own room he cries, but if I put him out he drools. Any advice to get him used to her?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's a new one with the drooling. I would start by putting her in a pet carrier and then bringing him in from another room and putting him close to the carrier for several short periods. He should at least stop the drooling and vomiting because she isn't a threat to him. This may take a lot of tries. After he is ok with her being in the carrier you may want to try feeding them at the same time in different rooms with the doors left open and then gradually move their eating spots closer together. I would probably always let him have a spot in the house where she can't bother him I wouldn't completely nix that safe haven even if he looks like he getting is ok with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcdonaj1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK I'll try that thanks!! I already took him to the vet and they said it was weird too. But they couldn't find anything physically wrong with him and it's only with her around that he does it. He really has nothing to be scared of, she is really sweet to her so it's weird.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that's a new one with the drooling. I would start by putting her in a pet carrier and then bringing him in from another room and putting him close to the carrier for several short periods. He should at least stop the drooling and vomiting because she isn't a threat to him. This may take a lot of tries. After he is ok with her being in the carrier you may want to try feeding them at the same time in different rooms with the doors left open and then gradually move their eating spots closer together. I would probably always let him have a spot in the house where she can't bother him I wouldn't completely nix that safe haven even if he looks like he getting is ok with her.
I've never heard of this; but this sounds like a good plan to start with.

Let us know how it goes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcdonaj1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so a follow up. I took the advice of keeping the cats seperated and slowly introducing them to each other, but I noticed the sick cat (harvey) started drooling even when the other cat wasn't around. I was very nervous about this so I took him to the vet. The vet couldn't identify anything wrong with him, but offered to run some tests. The tests were very expensive around 500 and since I just got him from the shelter I opted to see if they could help me first. I did get him some sub cut fluids and some anti naseau meds since he was dehydrated. The meds seemed to help and he was acting better, but randomly about two days after his nose started running. I contacted the shelter to see if they could help and brought him in, they told me he has a respiratory tract infection and told me to isolate him along with give him three different meds. They also gave him some sub cut fluids to help with dehydration and told me to get some pedialyte. Today is day two of the meds and he has stopped all drooling and sneezing, however his nose seems stuffed up. Hopefully his condition continues to improve if not, the shelter said I should bring him back for a follow up. I'll keep you guys up to date on his status as it progresses.