Cat Gags

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

This is my first post!
I came to find this site as I have a question about my cat Jasper. He rarely ever vomits. Yesterday he threw up a huge hair ball! Since then he has been gagging and at times throwing up saliva. He acts completely normal, plays like usual and eats just like always, so I am not sure what is wrong with him.

Any ideas as to why he may be gagging/throwing up saliva?
Thank you!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could just have a lof more hair he is trying to cough up or he could have throat irritation or worse. It really is hard to say for sure but I would run him to the vet to have them check out his mouth and throat and teeth also in case of an abscess or something else bothering him. And pick up some hairball paste while you are at the vet too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clear vomit / liquid could indicate a gastrointestinal issue. You should take your cat to the vet for a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses!

He didn't vomit at all today, but he still gagged. I will call the vet tomorrow to see what they think! He never throws up so it's just odd for him to be acting like this.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today he is gagging / coughing / choking whenever he jumps from one window to the other. I made a vet appointment for today so we will see what the vet says! Either way this didn't start until he had that massive hairball on Friday, so it's just weird timing.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went to the vets today and he has a 104 fever! They thought he could have Aids or Leukemia even though he was already tested Neg for it before, but with the possibility of a false negative he was tested again and thankfully came back Negative! He got some anti inflammatory meds, as he seems to have inflammation problems and antibiotics in case it's a bacterial infection. they said if it's a virus he could've picked it up from anything, the dog, other cats or sitting in the window! But we have to wash the kitten off as he was cleaning her. o after a few days in quarantine he should be back to normal!