Cat frequently growling in discomfort and defecating

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently took in a stray 6-9 month old cat. For the past couple of weeks she randomly has fits of growling in discomfort. An episode can happen anytime, I.e., during sleep, while grooming, or whenever. Sometimes she will defecate a small amount during an episode. The vet thinks it is colitis. The cat got steroid shot and we’ve been giving her probiotics and antibiotics for a week now. She doesn’t seem to be improving at this point. Has anyone experienced something like this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I have not, though it may take a little longer for the probiotics to kick in and help. Have you kept her on the same food? Or maybe try a sensitive system food. It sounds like she is having pain or discomfort, maybe gas, from a change in diet etc, and it may trake a little longer to resolve. She may be scared and upset by being a recent addition too and this is compounding the problem. When she settles in and calms down, it may resolve. Cats don't show that they are upset, but any change in routine for them is bound to be upsetting. It may be something like colic in babies too, which is painful, and may resolve as she ages. I am so sorry this is happening, I pray it resolves soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I have not, though it may take a little longer for the probiotics to kick in and help. Have you kept her on the same food? Or maybe try a sensitive system food. It sounds like she is having pain or discomfort, maybe gas, from a change in diet etc, and it may trake a little longer to resolve. She may be scared and upset by being a recent addition too and this is compounding the problem. When she settles in and calms down, it may resolve. Cats don't show that they are upset, but any change in routine for them is bound to be upsetting. It may be something like colic in babies too, which is painful, and may resolve as she ages. I am so sorry this is happening, I pray it resolves soon!
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. She could be stressed but I don’t think so. She was very confident and loving from the get go. She came in like she owned the place and wasn’t shy or skiddish. The vet didn’t recommend any food. She gets dry food and wet food that we add the probiotic too. Hopefully with more time she improves. This is this first time I’ve seen a cat with this kind of issue and we worry about her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The only other point I can make, aside from the colitis which is certainly possible, is that this is coincidental with the bowel movement or has nothing to do with it. Does this at all seem like a feline hyperesthesia kind of growling? Or pain from another part of her body? Are bowel movements normal otherwise and do they occur at least somewhat regularly?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet feel any hard stool when he did an abdominal exam? I'm wondering if she's constipated. Usually when you get little amounts of poop, it's from constipation. Also, some probiotics can cause constipation or hard stool.

What are you feeding her?

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:We had a follow up visit with the vet today. He expressed the anal glands and said there was was little discharge and it looked normal. Also gave her a longer acting steroid shot. He mentioned we could look at changing her diet to include more fiber using Science Hill RWD food. On the initial visit the vet did not feel anything abnormal, didn’t check on this visit. Fecal and urine tests came back negative for anything. The vet said not to give up, we’ll get it figured out.

I don’t think it’s hyperesthia. She doesn’t bite at the pelvis area and haven’t noticed any skin rippling. She uses the litter box normally and regularly although she deposits in several little spots and it’s mushy. We feed her Frisky Tender&Crunchy and sometimes Fancy Feast for kittens, some canned tuna/chicken.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only other point I can make, aside from the colitis which is certainly possible, is that this is coincidental with the bowel movement or has nothing to do with it. Does this at all seem like a feline hyperesthesia kind of growling? Or pain from another part of her body? Are bowel movements normal otherwise and do they occur at least somewhat regularly?
Please see update below.

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The second steroid shot seems to be helping. The growling episodes are much less frequent and less severe. The steroid should be effective for another week. We’re hoping that will give the cat time to get better from whatever may be causing the issue.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: to TCS,it's very nice to meet you- what is the kittens name?
May I ask when you brought her home?Of course there is a change in her diet that she must adjust to from whatever her diet consisted of before she found you,her forever pet parent 🩷

Sounds like you are working closely with your Vet ,I'd just like to suggest sticking with kitten food until she's about 12 months old-Ive always had good results with what your feeding (FF kitten canned) you might want to try just the chicken for a while to see how she tolerates that instead of using the fish as well- introducing one flavor at a time so you can do a process of elimination if the issue continues

I'm not crazy about the Friskies dry though,are you free feeding dry food?If so the Science Diet kitten might be better choice ( seems your Vet recommends SD? SO be sure to get Vets opinion)

Keep us updated,who knows what she was being fed- it's obvious she was someone's house cat from her behavior when you brought her into your home- please keep us posted with your progress- photos would be GREAT,lol💓

TN Blu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve been feeding her food for cats with sensitive digestive systems (Purina One, wet and dry) and including probiotics for a few weeks now. This seems to be working as she hasn’t had any growling episodes for the past couple of days.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve been feeding her food for cats with sensitive digestive systems (Purina One, wet and dry) and including probiotics for a few weeks now. This seems to be working as she hasn’t had any growling episodes for the past couple of days.
She's adorable,thank you for sharing photos of this beautiful little girl- so have you decided on a name for her?

I'm so happy to hear she's doing so much better- I think she knows how fortunate she is to have found her hooman by the looks of her,adorable