Cat freaking out over inflatable collar

Jlangdon4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an older cat, 17 who just had an eye removed. Vet had plastic cone on her and she wouldn’t move/eat/nothing. So I finally took it off, she does well without it 99% of the time but she has scratched her ear 3x causing it to bleed. So I bought an inflatable collar. She will move in this one when necessary but is acting CRAZY about having it on. She is hiding in a box for now. Question is, will she get used to it? Or should I give up and just watch her without any collar? She is a high anxiety cat to begin with, always has been.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your girl. She may get used to it, hard to say. Is she eating and using her litterbox? If,she is then I would just give her time. It really is the safest thing while she heals. If she doesn’t settle down I would all your vet to see if he can prescribe something to calm her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jlangdon4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, no she lies frozen with it on and won’t eat, drink or potty. It’s very traumatizing for her. I just removed it again to give her a break and she’s hiding. I have started giving her Rescue Remedy to calm her, seems to at least relax her.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, no she lies frozen with it on and won’t eat, drink or potty. It’s very traumatizing for her. I just removed it again to give her a break and she’s hiding. I have started giving her Rescue Remedy to calm her, seems to at least relax her.
How’s she doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jlangdon4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ended up taking the donut off again as she will not move with it on. Just watching her now. She does well leaving it alone for the most part. She does scratch near her ear once in a great while and causes it to bleed a little bit. I have been using Rescue Remedy to reduce her stress and also Vetericyn spray on the spot she wants to scratch. Other than the one spot she leaves the stiches and eye alone. Thank you for asking!