Cat Food

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be the food-perhaps it is too rich or your cat has a problem with some of the ingredients.

I was wondering about wet food. I am planning to switch my girl over to a premium wet food and do I have to do it slowly like the dry and mix it with her Fancy Feast? I don't want to upset her tummy.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Iams is definitely better than Purina One because with Iams, all the protein in the food is animal based. I prefer chicken by-product meal to soy and corn gluten. Cats are not designed to eat plant based proteins. Meat and internal organs all the way. Plus, they do eat mouse by-products in the wild, intestines, heart, kidney, lungs, bones. That's how their wild diet is nutritionally complete. Commercial diets consisting of only muscle meat are only complete because of supplements added to the food. Of course with all commercial cat foods supplements must be added. I think a company cuts corners more by using plant based proteins and an excessive amount of grains than by using animal based by-products.

If you really want to get your money's worth feeding Iams, go for the Iams multi-cat. It contains 35% animal based protein. That's similar to feeding Eukanuba without the excess calories. For a grocery store brand dry food, that's pretty good. Also of all the canned foods you can buy in a grocery store, Iams is the best of them all, no artificial colors, artifical flavors. You have by-products but it's all natural, until the new Iams pate style cans come into the grocery store, those don't have any by-products.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moggiegirl: the ingredients in Iams dry food are posted earlier in this thread. Please reread them, or go to their site. It has as much grains, nearly, as Purina One. And the problem with by-products, to me, is not what in includes but how much of a mystery it is. You have no idea what a by-product is when you see that on the label, it does not just mean other parts of the same animal, it could be a shipment from KFC of all the beaks they cut of baby chickens for all we know.

Iams Multicat made both of my sister's cats gain at least 2 lbs, which they immediately lost when they went back on Iams original.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Moggiegirl: the ingredients in Iams dry food are posted earlier in this thread. Please reread them, or go to their site. It has as much grains, nearly, as Purina One. And the problem with by-products, to me, is not what in includes but how much of a mystery it is. You have no idea what a by-product is when you see that on the label, it does not just mean other parts of the same animal, it could be a shipment from KFC of all the beaks they cut of baby chickens for all we know.

Iams Multicat made both of my sister's cats gain at least 2 lbs, which they immediately lost when they went back on Iams original.
You took out most of the words out of my mouth... I feed by products RAW and I know where they came from and what they are exactly...

You sisters cats are exceptions to a rule.. Give them a hug for me

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to provide a link to the AAFCO standards because I know someone is about to say "It doesn't include beaks". Which, in fact, it does:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=667
I'd say beaks are part of a chicken's head, and the only disallowable part of a chicken is its feathers.

I feed Iams, it is based in my hometown and I know one of their international marketing directors, but I freely admit that it is by no means a perfect food. At all. I wish it had no grains and no by-products. Zissou loves it and does extremely well on it, but I'm still trying to find a better food that she also likes.

I wonder why the multi-cat formula made both the cats gain so much weight? It's odd that they both gained weight and lost in in direct correlation with that bag of food. They seemed to like the original formula better too. hmmmm...