Cat Food Setup And Organization

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dry food, I just roll the top down and put a clip on it. That goes in a Rubbermaid container with a lid. The treats are in there too.
The canned food is stacked 4 or 5 cans high on a metal shelf/bookcase type thing. I stack according to flavor.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Im getting a bit low on the canned food actually. I have an autoship scheduled for october i think. I also had to get a screw top container for the dry food because Artemis can open the other ones. And then I have the toys I put the dry food in.
20180904_155025.jpg

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You all make good points about stocking up for emergency situations, thanks for that! I guess having three pet stores in walking distance spoiled me enough that I don't usually keep more than a week's worth around.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these fancy pictures make me think I need to take a few of my own.
We have a chest freezer for boneless meats and an upright for bone in meats and bone in grinds and "body parts" like gizzards, hearts, livers, organ mixtures, tripe, etc. The system works because I never have to pull out something and examine it, trying to see if it's bone inclusive or not, so no confusion!

We rarely store whole "parts". If we get beef heart, we partial thaw, cut up and portion and bag it. It's easier (and more space efficient) to store things this way to us than to try to make room for something bulky, large and oddly shaped that might take up more freezer space than it deserves.

For our cat eating a commercial wet diet, we keep the cans in an easy access cabinet that contains things like extra bowls, extra containers for storing leftover cat food and his supplements and stuff. The cabinet is small so space wastage isn't happening, and we keep new food at the back and old food at the front. We try to stay about 2 weeks ahead for him in case there's a bad batch, etc.

We just recently cleaned out the technical pet medicine and supplement and treat cabinet.
Meds and supplements we use daily are on the bottom shelf, easy access and a reminder. Things we use on occasion (2-4 times a week) are on the middle shelf, and things we rarely use are on the top. Treats are on the bottom shelf. Those things are a daily must you know. ;)

(We cleaned out some pantry space this weekend. It's feels so nice opening a pantry up that's organized.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 Yes please take pics and show us! Sounds like you have quite the haul for the kitties!

No cans but I had to buy a chest freezer because I couldn’t get any people food in the freezer in my kitchen fridge. It was full of homemade cat food. :) I do, however, have a cabinet in the kitchen devoted to treats, probiotics, Cosequin, cat food dishes, the scale I use to weigh their food, etc.
I wish we had room to make homemade cat food but that's one of the challenges of apartment living. The fridge provided has such a tiny freezer compartment so i know i wouldn't be able to make good sized batches. And we don't really have the space for a chest freezer.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 Yes please take pics and show us! Sounds like you have quite the haul for the kitties!

I wish we had room to make homemade cat food but that's one of the challenges of apartment living. The fridge provided has such a tiny freezer compartment so i know i wouldn't be able to make good sized batches. And we don't really have the space for a chest freezer.
Keep in mind this is kitty stuff, and dog stuff too! We have a lot of cats but pound for pound, dogs take the cake.
The hoggy little things all ate a lot of chicken wings and a lot of boneless chicken tonight with some beef liver thrown in.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind this is kitty stuff, and dog stuff too! We have a lot of cats but pound for pound, dogs take the cake.
The hoggy little things all ate a lot of chicken wings and a lot of boneless chicken tonight with some beef liver thrown in.
How many kitties and doggies do you have?

sandyshores

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So then not everyone has a Cat Food Room?
It probably depends on how close you are to the Pet Store where you buy the food, how many cats you have, and how picky your cat is! I have a Pet Supermarket within a mile of where I live and they match prices on the internet. No more do I buy cases of food as my cats are now 15 and my male (Love Bug) can decide on a dime that he no longer likes a certain one. So more cost effective for me not to load up on any! Luckily my female (Peanut) loves Rad Cat raw Turkey, Chicken and Beef so at least one of them is always happy.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pet stores near me but they don't sell all of the good brands i want to feed my cats so i buy in cases. Chewy is the best!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat food and organization.. 2 of my favorite things! I think I love this thread.

Here’s mine. The cats get their own freezer shelf. This includes some homemade raw, Rad Cat, Primal, and some individually wrapped raw chicken gizzards (in the ziplock bag) for dental health. :D

5589FC93-FCB6-4C39-B276-B2028FF5C931.jpeg

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat food and organization.. 2 of my favorite things! I think I love this thread.

Here’s mine. The cats get their own freezer shelf. This includes some homemade raw, Rad Cat, Primal, and some individually wrapped raw chicken gizzards (in the ziplock bag) for dental health. :D

View attachment 252391
Nice freezer set up!! I wish we had the freezer space. Do you know how many oz of food you fit in your glass tupperware? Just curious since i have something similar.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice freezer set up!! I wish we had the freezer space. Do you know how many oz of food you fit in your glass tupperware? Just curious since i have something similar.
Thanks! They are baby food containers and are supposed to fit up to 4oz but I’ve found that they fit 3oz better. 4 is a bit of a stretch.