Cat Food Setup And Organization

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately I've been feeling really disorganized with my cat food storage. There has been cat food boxes everywhere! I got fed up so i cleaned up my pantry to make room for some cat food. I set it up so we have easy access for our 2x/day feedings. The rest of the cases are at the bottom. I'm hoping to get a couple of more flavors. What does everyone else do for cat food storage and access?
20180903_174554.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks good! Just like a shelf at the grocery store. :thumbsup:

Ruby only eats one type of canned food - a vet prescribed hypo-allergenic, so I just stack them all on one shelf.

And she only gets dry food as a "treat", so a bag lasts a long time. To keep it fresh, I pour some in a glass jar, and use that till it's empty, then refill from the bag. That way the zip lock on the bag doesn't get used so often that it stops working.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep just a few cans on hand so I just have them in a small cabinet along with the cats' bowls, supplements, and treats. I have a small bin to hold the various sizes lids for cans.

The NV raw comes in bags so those are just stacked in the freezer. The raw I mix a supplement with are in small containers stacked in a tray in the freezer.

For those with less cabinet or other space, a can dispenser like this saves space https://www.containerstore.com/s/ir...nsers/d?productId=10032513&q=canned dispenser

A small rolling cart works, too. I used one for cat food when I was still living at home because there was zero cabinet / storage space. The Ikea one is popular but you can find similar ones at Target and other places now.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is our incredibly dull organization system. After seeing those can organizers I just may have to pay a visit to the Container Store!

Behold! The inside of the cube which stores all things "CAT". Canned food, baking soda from when they ate different foods and the litter box smelled. Still on hand but not in use. Bags for scooping. Mini dust broom for sweeping. No Rinse cleaning spray, eye wipes...a few balls, some Tiki wet treats...a spare mouse...

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to stay organized but entropy is a chaotic mistress. I told the BF that only one shelf would be a cat food shelf ... so I expanded to on top of the pantry and a closet.

Olive assisted in taking the photo. For some reason Rawz did not have good glue for the labels on their cans this time.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a photo but I have a deep shelf in one closet near the kitchen. I use an entire shelf level for the cat food. We have a variety and order more each month whether we are low on food or not. Want to keep him in variety lol. I go in and mix up a variety of cans to be up front for feeding with the unsorted behind. Right now he gets a can in the morning and a pouch in the evening. He's slimming down slowly as he got heavy on free feed (oops at least it was good food). My cat took to canned like we had been depriving him his whole life lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep just a few cans on hand so I just have them in a small cabinet along with the cats' bowls, supplements, and treats. I have a small bin to hold the various sizes lids for cans.

The NV raw comes in bags so those are just stacked in the freezer. The raw I mix a supplement with are in small containers stacked in a tray in the freezer.

For those with less cabinet or other space, a can dispenser like this saves space https://www.containerstore.com/s/iris-cat-food-can-dispensers/d?productId=10032513&q=canned dispenser

A small rolling cart works, too. I used one for cat food when I was still living at home because there was zero cabinet / storage space. The Ikea one is popular but you can find similar ones at Target and other places now.
Thank you for these suggestions!!!

This is our incredibly dull organization system. After seeing those can organizers I just may have to pay a visit to the Container Store!

Behold! The inside of the cube which stores all things "CAT". Canned food, baking soda from when they ate different foods and the litter box smelled. Still on hand but not in use. Bags for scooping. Mini dust broom for sweeping. No Rinse cleaning spray, eye wipes...a few balls, some Tiki wet treats...a spare mouse...

Im jealous that you have one place to keep all your cat stuff. We have our cat stuff in different pantries and drawers.

I'm embarrassed to admit we have an entire bookcase filled with canned goods for our cat with food allergies.

I always get tickled when someone drops by, and wonders just how many cats we have. :lol:
I want to see!!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So then not everyone has a Cat Food Room?
:crackup:

I consider us very fortunate that our cats so graciously allow us to at least have a little bit of space in the house to put our things. I mean, we do need some clothes to wear so we can go out and buy our kitties more food and other cool stuff. :wink:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
No cans but I had to buy a chest freezer because I couldn’t get any people food in the freezer in my kitchen fridge. It was full of homemade cat food. :) I do, however, have a cabinet in the kitchen devoted to treats, probiotics, Cosequin, cat food dishes, the scale I use to weigh their food, etc.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
After looking at some of the amounts of food that everyone keeps on hand I'm beginning to wonder...is there going to be a sudden cat food shortage that no one is kindly telling me about??? At least I'll know where to look for more! :yess:
You reminded me...I store a case of cat food in case of emergency! We live in wildfire and earthquake country, and I wanted an emergency stash of food for the girls. If the cans get close to the expiration date, I’ll celebrate, donate them to the local cat rescue, and buy another case. :)

MarcEwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to stay organized but entropy is a chaotic mistress. I told the BF that only one shelf would be a cat food shelf ... so I expanded to on top of the pantry and a closet.

Olive assisted in taking the photo. For some reason Rawz did not have good glue for the labels on their cans this time.
How many cats do u have? :D

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a microwave stand that has two shelves that I stack all the food in and then I feed them on the top. I also have some plastic drawers that has mostly dog stuff in it but it has some cat stuff too. Thats where i store my extra treats, leashes, collars, grooming supplies, etc.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You reminded me...I store a case of cat food in case of emergency! We live in wildfire and earthquake country, and I wanted an emergency stash of food for the girls. If the cans get close to the expiration date, I’ll celebrate, donate them to the local cat rescue, and buy another case. :)
I totally understand! We live along the Gulf Coast, so during hurricane season, we make sure we have at least three weeks of food, medications and supplements, well-stocked first aid kits, and other emergency supplies on hand. And that's just for the cats! :lol:

We buy a lot of Buddy's food by the case because the holistic stores around here mostly just carry fish and chicken based canned foods, both of which he's allergic to. So when we have a wide variety of menu options on hand, it does look like we're stocking up for a zombie apocalypse or something. :flail:

But we do try to at least have some kind of system, and organize cans by protein source. Then whatever won't fit on the bookcase goes under the piano, the beds, in the closets, or wherever we can find space. On the bright side, those cases of food make handy doorstops when we need to keep a door propped open. :biggrin:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
We live along the Gulf Coast, so during hurricane season, we make sure we have at least three weeks of food, medications and supplements, well-stocked first aid kits, and other emergency supplies on hand. And that's just for the cats!
Off thread, but sending good vibes and hopes that Gordon weakens or fizzles out completely before hitting the Gulf Coast. I used to live in Pensacola and remember the prep and the waiting...and the clean-up after.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

:vibes:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fun topic! I use an old microwave cart that has a cabinet at the bottom. This is an old picture from back in May so everything is gone and has been restocked with new brands and flavors but the bottom shelf is usually where all the kitty food and supplies go. Another thing, I had to secure the cabinet doors. A little troublemaker girl by the name of Stevie discovered how to open them and get into treats and the EZ-Complete supplement for Gizmo's food. :doh2: