Cat Food Recommendation For Kitty's Stinky Farts?

fanjimie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm a new cat owner here.

My cat, Ember, is 4 months old and pretty healthy from what I've observed. Right now I have her on a dry and canned food diet. She gets dry food throughout the day and one can of wet food in the evening. Her kibble is Purina Pro Plan True Nature Kitten and her wet food is Fancy Feast.

This is my first time ever owning a cat so I don't have a lot of knowledge about cat food brands.

Recently Ember has been releasing the nastiest silent farts at least once or twice a day. I think it probably has to do with her food. Her stools seem to be regular.

Does anyone have any kitten food recommendations that eliminates smelly farts? Or is Ember's clear a room farts normal?

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to you and your Ember!!

I have noticed that my boy can seriously make my eyes water when he gets too many consecutive treat-feeds of the Fancy Feast broths LOL

You could try an All Life Stages food even though she's still a baby. In her case, maybe the kibble is too carby?

Here are a few articles - they aren't long but have some good info;

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
How To Compare Cat Foods & Calculate Carbs: Dry Matter Basis
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food?
Grain-free Cat Food – What Does It Mean?

Here are a couple of catfood databases you could look at;

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Pet Food Guide

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom shared all the best links. I know some people have cats that have issues with too much peas .. the Pro Plan has pea protein (probably the major protein source since the "chicken" is listed by weight before they remove the water content). Can you try a kibble that doesn't contain peas? That may help.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would up the canned food a little bit and maybe decrease the dry? How much dry are you feeding, do you measure it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fanjimie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do free feed with dry food since I'm gone during the day for work. But I do give Ember the recommended amount on the dry food packaging.

What's a good way to make the transition to a different cat food brand? Ember isn't very picky but fingers crossed she accepts the new food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That food also contains potato, which used to have a horribly smelly effect on one of our cats, it was awful! We don't feed our cats peas, either, because, well, legumes!

I don't feed dry food but the general rule with switching that is to go slowly. Some foods have suggestions like mixing a small amount (25% or something) of the new food into the old food and increasing it slowly.