Cat Food Like Hills Prescription Urgent Care

beeva_h9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I have a pretty small kitten and recently he was just a tad underweight at the vets so they gave him hills perception a/d urgent care and since he’s started growing more and gained a good pound, so right now he’s 3.2ibs and 3 months old, he does pretty well eating his food I give him a mix of Sheba porportions and purina dry kitten food but I’m kinda concerned he won’t gain enough weight this month, is there any food that helps then gain weight that isn’t prescription? The vet only gave us two cans and that’s all gone and they didn’t say anything about getting more. Thanks!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, food... any food.. will help gain weight. A prescription diet for gaining weight is a ridiculous scam. Feed your kitten lots and lots of food of any kind (preferably wet food high in animal protein since it’s healthiest for cats) and they should gain weight just fine.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A prescription diet for gaining weight is a ridiculous scam.
While I generally agree for most prescription foods, A/D food is more of a highly palatable food to entice cats or kittens who don't want to eat. So that is fine for a bit. That hopefully helped gain his appetite back. Basically you want to offer this kitten any and all food he will eat. Kitten food of course. Dry and wet, focusing more on the wet as he grows up.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
While I generally agree for most prescription foods, A/D food is more of a highly palatable food to entice cats or kittens who don't want to eat. So that is fine for a bit. That hopefully helped gain his appetite back. Basically you want to offer this kitten any and all food he will eat. Kitten food of course. Dry and wet, focusing more on the wet as he grows up.
In that case then I would say to just find any other food the kitten likes. Try different things. Maybe sprinkle some fortiflora.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the vets conscent we fed hill prescription CD to our female cat. This was because our male cat had been prescribed that food for urinary tract crystals and it was difficult to feed them them different food and also stop the male from eating the non CD food.

Some years latter I learnt the female had developed advanced diabetes. After a lot of reading I felt it may have been caused by the "prescription" CD food which was very high in carbs and in my opinion actually not very healthy for her. I had simply followed the advice of the vet.

I switched her off the dry CD and on to high quality wet food, which cost no more than the CD. Her coat got glosslier and thicker, she appeared more healthy and became more active. She went from being on deaths door to living more than another year.

Just my experience with prescription food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some years latter I learnt the female had developed advanced diabetes. After a lot of reading I felt it may have been caused by the "prescription" CD food which was very high in carbs and in my opinion actually not very healthy for her. I had simply followed the advice of the vet.
You nailed that right on the head. Dry food period is bad for crystals and other urinary issues, obesity, diabetes, kidney disease... It is fine if you want to use it at first to get the issue under control. But not long term. Cats are carnivores and need meat. Dry, even the prescription foods are SO low in protein and high in carbs. Exactly the opposite of what they should be eating. Read this site. You will learn a TON of helpful cat nutrition information.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed him kitten food for the first year. Preferably wet. But you might want to also leave out some kitten kibble all the time. Kittens have a very high calorie requirement. They are growing plus they are hyperactive for the first year.