cat food in fridge

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you put your cat food in the fridge?
I do cause I heard it helps preserve it. But now I'm wondering if that's really necessary. Especially now that it's no longer hot and humid.

Where do you store yours?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you mean the try or wet?
I've never put dry in the fridge, but leftover can/pouches do go in there, then are microwaved right before serving.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dry stays in airtight and in the cupboard also....as far as wet goes...I open the can, let them eat what they want and throw the rest away. After it has been in the :censor::censor::censor::censor: they will not eat it AT ALL ! I`ve tried letting it warm to room temp on the counter, heating in the mic and in a pan....and THEY SYILL KNOW it`s been in the :censor::censor::censor::censor:!!!
Linda

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep Harley's dry food in an air tight container in our storage room and his wet food in the cupboard, and then when he's ready to eat it, I only give him 1/2 the can (he can't eat it all at once!) then the rest goes in the fridge til next feeding time that day, then it has to be warmed back up in the microwave until he approves!
Talk about a picky eater!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i keep mine in an airtight container. it was actually a promotional thing purina did a couple years ago at our target store. it holds 18# of cat food, and it's on wheels, with a flip top and a rubber seal around the edges. now they sell the same thing (pretty much) at target (in the dog food section) and i've seen similar products at petsmart.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Add me to the container list! I buy big bags of kibble at Sams Club and his feeder only holds 5 pounds at a time, so the rest goes in a big rubbermaid container in the closet (I just keep it in the kibble bag, don't dump it in)... and even though he's got a constant supply of food, he always darts in the kibble closet whenever it's opened and mews at the container, haha.... never heard of refridgerating the dry stuff, I think as long as it's sealed or in a sealed container, it's good

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by stampit3d

My dry stays in airtight and in the cupboard also....as far as wet goes...I open the can, let them eat what they want and throw the rest away. After it has been in the :censor::censor::censor::censor: they will not eat it AT ALL ! I`ve tried letting it warm to room temp on the counter, heating in the mic and in a pan....and THEY SYILL KNOW it`s been in the :censor::censor::censor::censor:!!!
Linda
I wonder if open cat food can absorb funky fridge smells and tastes like an open glass/container of milk can and that's why they know..... just a thought (maybe if you put the leftovers in an airtight tupperware container or something, you can trick them!)