Cat food for Runt

ocicathopeful

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is 1 year old and was the runt of the litter. Our Vet told us to have food available for her practically all the time to keep her weight up. She wieghs between 5 -6 pounds and we feed her canned food. She doesn't eat when she's not hungry but sometimes the food upsets her stomach because it is so rich. Is there anything I can give her to keep her weight up and not be so rich and easier on her stomach?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're leaving canned food out all the time ("free feeding"), that's probably what upsets her stomach. Canned food can spoil if left out. Bacteria will grow in it. Most canned food says something like this on the label: "Refrigerate unused portion". When your vet said to leave food out, he probably assumed you were feeding dry food.

What I'd suggest is leaving dry food out for when she's hungry between mealtimes, and feed the wet food only at fixed mealtimes. For a one-year-old cat, wet food twice a day should be adequate.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

If you're leaving canned food out all the time ("free feeding"), that's probably what upsets her stomach. Canned food can spoil if left out. Bacteria will grow in it. Most canned food says something like this on the label: "Refrigerate unused portion". When your vet said to leave food out, he probably assumed you were feeding dry food.

What I'd suggest is leaving dry food out for when she's hungry between mealtimes, and feed the wet food only at fixed mealtimes. For a one-year-old cat, wet food twice a day should be adequate.
couldn't have said it better.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even dry food will air spoil- free feeding is not always a good idea. If I were you, I would look into fastrac and start feeding this to your kitty. It is probiotic and it helps to put weight on, and is gentle to the system as it kills all bad bacteria, leaving behind good. If you go to our links page on this site, you will find their website listed. I use it with some of my cats, as well as one horse- it truly does work.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sheba was always a tiny cat and I would occasionally give her mashed up cottage cheese. How about some KMR????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Zoey is on kitten food again cause nothing else worked and she seems to be gaining a little bit at a time.... vet told me nutri cal but she wouldnt touch it maybe that would be an option