cat food cunnumdrum

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got Chloe, she was used to dry cat food from the shelter.

One day I opened a tin of chilli with a ring pull and she shot into the kitchen. I thought to myself maybe she used to have wet cat food. I've tried her out with purina beef pate. She loved that for about a week. Fancy feast pate, she like the beef the most. That lasted about a week. Fancy feast with gravy, again the beef she wouldn't eat much of the chicken or turkey. Again another week. Sheba portions, lasted about a week. Now I've got friskies beef in gravy and beef pate. It seems she likes them to start with but then gets fussy.

I've not tried her with fish yet. I keep trying to find a beef dinner she'll eat but it's driving me up the wall. Right now either of the friskies I put down she walks up to and walks away. Then she constantly keep pestering me for food. I don't have anything else to give her right now. I've tried a bit of dry with the gravy food and that was a bust.

I've put cooked chicken in her dish and she wasn't interested nor tuna fish. Has anyone got any suggestions? She'd driving me bonkers.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what will work for your kitty, but I understand the frustration. My cat seems to only want Wellness Tiny Tasters. They are expensive, and I have tried offering her less expensive foods, but the Tasters are all she seems to want. It seems like most cats have something they prefer. I hope you find your answer soon.
My kitty also refused almost every cat treat I gave her. She needs an inhaler, and it was almost impossible to train her on the aerokat until I found a treat. Thankfully, after MUCH trial and error, I finally found something and was able to train her to use her inhaler. Don’t give up! 🥰

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will she still eat the dry food? Maybe add a second dish with water mixed with the dry instead of adding the gravy foods?

This might not be about the food, but something else - like attention seeking?

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe she'd like some variation.. my cat gets tired of specific wet foods when he's had it too many times. You could try alternating days with different textures or flavours.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she'd like some variation.. my cat gets tired of specific wet foods when he's had it too many times. You could try alternating days with different textures or flavours.
Try crumbling a few bits of the dry food on top of the wet.
Yes to both these suggestions! Our cats also demand variety: there are certain foods they'll eat at one meal a day (they get five meals a day) but we could never get away with feeding them the same thing for a week.

And putting a little crushed dry food or (even better, according to our cats) freeze-dried chicken breast treats on top of food can make it a lot more appealing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another type of topper you can try is FortiFlora. It is supposed to be a probiotic but seems to be most effective as a food enhancer. You can sprinkle some on top of one of the canned foods she seems to be losing interest in to see if that would help, at least temporarily.