Cat follows me into the bathroom for attention?

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats and both my dogs seem to think that the bathroom is the gathering place for attention. lol! 

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Peanut was a kitten he always slept in the sink until I was completely ready. He gave up on that (probably because it took me an hour to get ready). Now his favorite thing to do is hide behind the shower curtain. 50 people could go in and out but he stays completely still until my 11 year old son goes in. He waits until my son starts to pee and then he jumps out. I felt bad for my son the first few times, but now it's just hysterical to hear him yell.

catman8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Ally that I rised from the first day she was born has some I want love right mes.
1 When I am rolling up a cigarette to smoke out side.......... Ever cught her stealing my tobacco bag and running under the bed with it.
2 When I first go to bed and just before I hit rem sleep. Purrr......head butt to my hand.....Allys head sneaking under my hand.... Ally saying if you wont pet me I'll make ya do it. But I always give in for 5 - 10 minutes.
3 When I am dead a sleep in the morning I wake up to much of the same listed in step 2. I always give up to and pet her.
4 when I am trying to type on my cell phone and reply to posts here.
But Ally wants love all the time and I love her for that. She a wounderful kitten who brighteneds each day.

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Chelsea has developed the habit recently of coming in to the bathroom as soon as I get up in the morning, and jumping up on the side of the tub right beside toilet & solicits petting. It's like "here I am, so pay attention to me!" She is about 2 yrs old & very happy as the solitary cat of our household.
Many times right before bedtime when I go into use the toilet, Chelsea will appear at my side as if to say "good night, I luv you!" Cats just have a way of making you smile, don't they? :D

Last edited:

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat will sit on the toilet seat lid and meow at me the entire time i am in the shower. Almost to make sure im ok? or maybe just singing? lol I have no idea. But when I get out she will rub against my legs a time or two and get me all hairy and then run away!

I just dont know about her sometimes !! HAha

tick-n-thistle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh you guys made me hoot! 
  Lucy used to jump in the tub after a shower and lick the inside of the curtain - just though she was thirsty, but now I'm wondering!  If I engaged with her, she'd bat at the curtain and play with me too.  George used to like to just crash in the tub, especially in the summer.  Thanks for the memories! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It's really nice to know I'm not the only one with a toilet shadow.  Mouse has always chummed me in since I adopted him.  He usually darts in in front of me as soon as I open the bathroom door, bounces up on the toilet, over in to the (empty) bath and then up on to the sink like it's a little circuit.  Sometimes he comes and sits on my lap, or climbs about on the cistern behind me which I find a bit disconcerting as I can't see him.  

He used to jump in the bath first but caught out once as he did it just as I turned the shower on and he got a soaking! 
Little mite was like a crazed spider trying to scramble out but slipping everywhere until  I could get hold of him and wrap him in what would have been my towel.....   Nearly had a similar fate with the toilet last week as I had a young man staying in the apartment who kept forgetting to put the seat lid down.  Mouse was teetering on the edge of head first dives almost daily.
   Life's back to normal now thankfully, and he didn't fall in so he still loves 'the zone'.  Possibly runs in as soon as the door's open because he's not allowed in unsupervised due to the higher risk of accidents and poisonous stuff in there and it's the only bit of his territory he doesn't get to check out whenever he wants.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gentle used to sit on my lap when I was in the toilet and now whisky and blighty have to come in and lay about till I've finished. No peace to read!!!!

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All three of my cats stand outside the bathroom door like I'm being murdered inside or something. They freak out and start clawing and the door and whimpering. I have to really close and lock the door because if I don't, they'll open the door wide open. I live with my family, so open doors are not good... Haha. It's very cute that they want to rescue me from the toilet monster. When I shower, sometimes I let them in with me and they stare at me being pelted with pangs of hot water. They want to rescue me, so they put their paw on the edge of the tub, and scratch at the shower curtain and whimper. It's pretty funny.

Last edited:

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All my cats want to be with me in the bathroom. They scratch on the door, meow, stick there paws under the door etc.  I always ask them why they feel the need to bother me when I am using the litter box? Then I tell them that I will do the same to them.  As usual, they just ignore me.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine do this also.  Casper didn't when he was a solo cat, but once Cocoa came to live with us, and she started barging in he picked up the habit.  Worse, is Cocoa will almost always decide she has to use the litter box while I'm in there - even if it's just to barely mark her scent in it.  Casper will lay on the tile calmly waiting for both of us.  But she is a whirlwind in there, climbing in the tub, trying to get up on the radiator to look out the window, opening the closet door, sitting on my feet, etc.  She will walk into the stall shower before I get in there to do an inspection for me lol.  Once I need to really shower, I kick them out best as possible.  The house is really old and the bathroom door doesn't stay completely shut so they can barge in if so inclined.  Usually, they will take up play fighting with each other after a while when I'm showering (sometimes it gets quite out of control!) but the moment they hear that turn off the water they come right in again.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats have developed their own personal bathroom attention rituals.

Baby :angel: always had to be on my lap, kneading.

Sissy :angel: would dash in and head bump the tub.

Tolly :angel:, also a lap boy, but he also liked to play Hide and Peek, while I sat on the toilet, he would get in the tub and wait for me to peek around the shower curtain so he could jump out at me.

Jennie comes in and paces back and forth indicating she would like me to pet her, but stays about half an inch out of reach so I find myself leaning over half off the toilet trying to accommodate her. :lol3:

Mazy cat head bumps my legs and supervises.

Queen Eva's is the best. She gets up on the tub side, behind the fabric shower curtain and nuzzles me through the curtain. If I don't pay enough attention she punches at me through the curtain. She likes to wrap her paws around my head, through the curtain.

I generally spend a lot longer on the toilet than necessary, making sure everyone gets the attentions they require.
You have such affectionate cats. How lucky you are.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to have a litter box located in another bathroom and in the middle of the night I would use that bathroom. My old MC would follow me in and use the litter box at the same time.

I'm just happy he didn't ask me to pass the TP.

My current MC kitten now follows me in. He literally jumps off the bed.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not been alone in the bathroom at home since before I got Sophie. I totally understand what molldee says, as I have tried to keep them  out and they jumped on the door knob and scratched at the door and cried. So now when I use the bathroom, I have three cats staring at me. When I shower, Amelie sits on the edge of the tub to make sure I'm ok and the water doesn't hurt me.