Cat flap door for cats and dog?

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats that sleep outside in a shed and that I let in the house at times. With winter coming on, I'd like to put a cat flap door on the back house door to give them access to the house on cold nights/days. I also have a dog (30 lb Australian Shepherd 18” at the shoulder) which I’d like to let use same the flap. I don’t want to get two flaps.
Is there a commercial flap I could get that would be big enough for the dog but not cause a problem for the cats. I’m wondering if a large dog flap would be too heavy/cumbersome for a cat to want to push open with its head.
Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks FeebysOwner. Another problem might be that the dog would need the bottom of the flap, when installed on the back door, to be high (I’m guessing a few inches above the floor) so she can step through easily but the cats would need the flap lower so they can step through easily.

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea - thanks. Or maybe put like a 2" wide ramp going up the middle that the cats could use and hopefully the dog's legs would just automatically go outside the ramp.But then again maybe not. As I look at the dog sitting here her front paws are a few inches apart but when she walks her front paws almost touch each other which of course means they'd touch a ramp going up the middle. Your idea seems better.

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely - a lot of good information.