Cat fight

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.
I have three kitties. The male is 3 and the sisters are 2 1/2. They’ve always gotten along relatively well. But something happened today. The male and the Siamese started wrestling like they do a lot and then the calico came in and started angry fighting like I’ve never seen them do. After a minute, I got her separated.
After about 30 minutes when it seemed everyone had settled down, I let her out and after greeting everyone, they seemed fine.
But then something triggered them again and they did the standoff and into angry fighting and peeing everywhere. I finally got them all three separated and had pee all over my house.

can you please help me? I’ve never had cats fight like this before. Do I have to keep them separated for a couple weeks and reintroduce them? I’m anxious and a bit scared because that was nasty fighting and my sweet mar cat even hissed and angry yelled at me.

I desperately need some help, encouragement and guidance. Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I presume they are spayed/neutered? Assuming that is the case, there are a few other possibilities - 1.) any one of them had a vet visit without the others? Scent changes from the vet can trigger what is called non-recognition aggressiveness. It can also be triggered by one cat bringing in scents from the outside that are not recognizable to the others. 2.) outside stray/feral cat or other critter that the 'attacker' can smell/sense and is reacting accordingly (not all cats react, so one could and the others not). A human won't always be able to notice this without further investigation. This could be considered re-directed aggression. 3.) an illness in one or another of the cats - some ill cats will attack others, while some healthy cats will attack a sick one (again, different for every cat).

If 1.) doesn't apply, do your due diligence on option 2.). Lastly, after exhausting these options, then you might be looking at option 3.). For now, until you have some better ideas, you probably should monitor/supervise their interactions with each other.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite
Re-directed Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I presume they are spayed/neutered? Assuming that is the case, there are a few other possibilities - 1.) any one of them had a vet visit without the others? Scent changes from the vet can trigger what is called non-recognition aggressiveness. It can also be triggered by one cat bringing in scents from the outside that are not recognizable to the others. 2.) outside stray/feral cat or other critter that the 'attacker' can smell/sense and is reacting accordingly (not all cats react, so one could and the others not). A human won't always be able to notice this without further investigation. This could be considered re-directed aggression. 3.) an illness in one or another of the cats - some ill cats will attack others, while some healthy cats will attack a sick one (again, different for every cat).

If 1.) doesn't apply, do your due diligence on option 2.). Lastly, after exhausting these options, then you might be looking at option 3.). For now, until you have some better ideas, you probably should monitor/supervise their interactions with each other.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite
Re-directed Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite
Thanks. Yes they are spayed and neutered. They haven’t been out of the house and I haven’t been around other animals. I’ll keep thinking about #2, but we had all been interacting together for quite a while. I was actually making them a little box fort when it all happened. Maybe the aggressor was hungry. I haven’t paid as much attention to how much she had eaten but she had been refusing her wet food. I’m transitioning her off kibble so perhaps she was hangry.
I think I’ll keep them all separated tonight and pray I can rest over the yelling at the doors. Lol.
the victim is still hiding behind the dryer and hisses at me when I walk into the kitchen. I know he’s terrified and hope he’s not injured. And I hope he will interact with me tomorrow. Poor guy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Add to #2, they can react like that after hearing a noise...even one that you weren't aware of. And they don't have to be outside for this issue...they can just see something through a window, and a fight break out over it.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Add to #2, they can react like that after hearing a noise...even one that you weren't aware of. And they don't have to be outside for this issue...they can just see something through a window, and a fight break out over it.
Thanks for that info. Would they do this as a result of the two of them wrestling? I mean there’s not a day that goes by where at least two of them hasn’t wrestled. I never know if it’s okay or not but compared to yesterday…it was nothing. I don’t know how to keep them from play fighting or mild aggression in general. And if she does this every time moving forward…

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for that info. Would they do this as a result of the two of them wrestling? I mean there’s not a day that goes by where at least two of them hasn’t wrestled. I never know if it’s okay or not but compared to yesterday…it was nothing. I don’t know how to keep them from play fighting or mild aggression in general. And if she does this every time moving forward…
You're not going to want to stop them play fighting. It's very healthy for them.

You really don't want her charging in and stopping them either.

It's easy for them to be triggered by something outside. VERY easy and we might not notice what it is. If you were able to let her out later, I'd be willing to bet that reintroducing them would work and she'd be calmer about the play.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're not going to want to stop them play fighting. It's very healthy for them.

You really don't want her charging in and stopping them either.

It's easy for them to be triggered by something outside. VERY easy and we might not notice what it is. If you were able to let her out later, I'd be willing to bet that reintroducing them would work and she'd be calmer about the play.
Thanks. I fed them by the doors and actually had the doors open and kept the girls on the other side of the baby gates. I thought they were going to get along. He wants to. He ate and came up to the gate but as soon as she saw him she hissed and he took off. I got the door shut. I’ll check later if the other sister and him can get along. At least that’ll make it easier on me to not have to keep them all separate. The cries are too much and they’re destroying the carpet. 😔

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having recently gone through my third reintroduction, I can sympathize. I would suggest reading the reintroduction process very carefully and following every step. It’s very important not to rush the cats. So for instance, you are feeding them at the baby gates and there was still a hiss. This incident just happened yesterday, the cats are still in a heightened state and aren’t really ready for the gates yet. My aggressor cat took two to three days to even be calm enough to begin the reintroduction process. I would go back to the closed door for feeding for a few times. Then move on to the baby gates and stay there until there is no incident whatsoever before moving ahead.

As far as them shredding up the carpet because of being confined, that is a tough one. I found that as their mood stabilized, they calmed down and got used to being confined and even got used to the room swapping routine. Make sure they have a proper scratching post and other resources in each room. I would start with putting the most aggressive cat in the smaller room and just leaving them alone to really cool off. When everyone has cooled off, make sure to play with them as much as possible to burn off extra energy and build their confidence.

I found the hardest part was emotionally. It hurts so much seeing my little cat family at odds with one another whenever this happens. I cried a lot. You start to feel it will never get better, you start to get so tired of room swapping, feeding schedules, putting up gates, taking gates down, sleeping separate from your partner so none of the cats are alone. It gets old. But if you follow the process, it does keep improving and then suddenly, they are together again! Our last reintroduction took 18 days, after a one hour vet visit resulted in non recognition aggression. Hang in there, you will make it.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having recently gone through my third reintroduction, I can sympathize. I would suggest reading the reintroduction process very carefully and following every step. It’s very important not to rush the cats. So for instance, you are feeding them at the baby gates and there was still a hiss. This incident just happened yesterday, the cats are still in a heightened state and aren’t really ready for the gates yet. My aggressor cat took two to three days to even be calm enough to begin the reintroduction process. I would go back to the closed door for feeding for a few times. Then move on to the baby gates and stay there until there is no incident whatsoever before moving ahead.

As far as them shredding up the carpet because of being confined, that is a tough one. I found that as their mood stabilized, they calmed down and got used to being confined and even got used to the room swapping routine. Make sure they have a proper scratching post and other resources in each room. I would start with putting the most aggressive cat in the smaller room and just leaving them alone to really cool off. When everyone has cooled off, make sure to play with them as much as possible to burn off extra energy and build their confidence.

I found the hardest part was emotionally. It hurts so much seeing my little cat family at odds with one another whenever this happens. I cried a lot. You start to feel it will never get better, you start to get so tired of room swapping, feeding schedules, putting up gates, taking gates down, sleeping separate from your partner so none of the cats are alone. It gets old. But if you follow the process, it does keep improving and then suddenly, they are together again! Our last reintroduction took 18 days, after a one hour vet visit resulted in non recognition aggression. Hang in there, you will make it.
Thank you. I think you said everything I needed to hear. It’s just me and the three of them so it’s really hard emotionally. They’re fine as long as I am in the room with them but as soon as I leave the crying ensues.
I’ll reread the instructions and slow back down. I wanted to test the waters and see if this could just happen. But their eyes are still dilated so I think you’re right. I mean, my anxiety is still high so I imagine theirs is too.

I have one question I didn’t really get from the instructions…if at any stage there is hissing or aggression, do you close the door and go back a step? If once it’s just the baby gates, do you just give them access to each other for a period of time and then shut the door regardless of behavior or leave it open and available? And with or without supervision? I guess that was three questions. again thanks for the support. I really really needed it.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, to quote Jackson Galaxy,”if there are any shenanigans whatsoever, go back to the last step they were comfortable at.”

When they are comfortable at the gate for several times, then you can try having them together in a room for literally just a few minutes. It’s best if you can get a friend or family member to help you with this part. Try to keep everyone entertained with treats and play. Keep it short, end on a positive note. Have a piece of cardboard ready to block cats if staring begins. Slowly extend the time of these little gatherings, always with supervision. When the time comes that you feel you can completely open things up, you still want supervision. At least be home so you can keep an eye on things.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, before you ever get to bringing them together, have little sessions at the baby gates where you give everyone a treat they go wild over. Mine really went for the Temptations Purées. I even smeared some on the gate so they would have to get their faces close together. You can also have a toy for them all to play with, sliding it under the gate, over the gate, through the gate. Basically you want every single interaction to be a positive one. You want every time they see each other to be like Christmas morning, you want them to think “good things happen whenever that other cat is around.”

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, before you ever get to bringing them together, have little sessions at the baby gates where you give everyone a treat they go wild over. Mine really went for the Temptations Purées. I even smeared some on the gate so they would have to get their faces close together. You can also have a toy for them all to play with, sliding it under the gate, over the gate, through the gate. Basically you want every single interaction to be a positive one. You want every time they see each other to be like Christmas morning, you want them to think “good things happen whenever that other cat is around.”
Okay this is really helpful thanks. Since they already know each other, would you recommend doing the scent and site swaps? I thought I’d move them around so they each can stretch out once a day. Or would you recommend keeping them in their own separate rooms the whole time? I know cats are different so it may depend.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay this is really helpful thanks. Since they already know each other, would you recommend doing the scent and site swaps? I thought I’d move them around so they each can stretch out once a day. Or would you recommend keeping them in their own separate rooms the whole time? I know cats are different so it may depend.
If you do scent swaps it can be for providing treats or the like..
Sight swaps are still helpful so that no one lays claim to a particular territory in the home, and they get used to relaxing in one another's spaces.
And yes for them to stretch out more and rotate who has the most space is great.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you do scent swaps it can be for providing treats or the like..
Sight swaps are still helpful so that no one lays claim to a particular territory in the home, and they get used to relaxing in one another's spaces.
And yes for them to stretch out more and rotate who has the most space is great.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. That makes sense.
Feel free to keep us updated and let us know how it's going. (Even photos if you want!)

We are happy to help brainstorm some more if you let us know what's working and what isn't, or just offer morale support if needed.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feel free to keep us updated and let us know how it's going. (Even photos if you want!)

We are happy to help brainstorm some more if you let us know what's working and what isn't, or just offer morale support if needed.
Oh my gosh, thank you. I was married when we first introduced these guys so it’s a lot different and more lonely doing this alone. I will keep you updated. Thanks again for the support.
I’ve done one site swap. I plan to do three a day so each day they all experience all areas of the house and each night a different one gets to sleep with me. I also bought Feliway too. My cousin swore by it so hopefully it’ll work with these ones. It’ll be delivered tomorrow.
I know I need to take a deep breath and trust the process.And calm my own anxieties. It’s so hard when you’re encouraging them to interact.
anyway thank you!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gosh, thank you. I was married when we first introduced these guys so it’s a lot different and more lonely doing this alone. I will keep you updated. Thanks again for the support.
I’ve done one site swap. I plan to do three a day so each day they all experience all areas of the house and each night a different one gets to sleep with me. I also bought Feliway too. My cousin swore by it so hopefully it’ll work with these ones. It’ll be delivered tomorrow.
I know I need to take a deep breath and trust the process.And calm my own anxieties. It’s so hard when you’re encouraging them to interact.
anyway thank you!!
It's okay to just do two at a time. And to take breaks for yourself. ❣
You've got this!

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's okay to just do two at a time. And to take breaks for yourself. ❣
You've got this!
Okay, so I just wanted to test the waters with the girls to see how they felt about each other…and there were zero shenanigans. So I did it again and one of them jumped out of the room so I watched and followed. They’ve been out together for about an hour and have smelled each other and walked around. The aggressor hasn’t been out since it all went down yesterday so she’s been preoccupied with sniffing everything. Any recommendations around letting them stay out together overnight if they get along the rest of the day? My concern is if the victim starts meowing and they are at his door and someone starts hissing that the girls may take it out on one another. And that’s a terrible way to be woken up! Lol! Both of their eyes have returned to normal size. Should I just watch and see?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are the girls still doing okay together? If they have done okay all evening, it might be okay. You are the only one who knows your cats and can watch their body language. It’s a good sign if they don’t seem startled by the other when the other appears suddenly from around a corner or jumps down from something. No being startled, no staring, no freezing and backing up. Look for sniffing of faces and butts, and a little grooming. It doesn’t always have to take a long time. We had one of our redirected aggression situations resolve in two to three days.

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the girls still doing okay together? If they have done okay all evening, it might be okay. You are the only one who knows your cats and can watch their body language. It’s a good sign if they don’t seem startled by the other when the other appears suddenly from around a corner or jumps down from something. No being startled, no staring, no freezing and backing up. Look for sniffing of faces and butts, and a little grooming. It doesn’t always have to take a long time. We had one of our redirected aggression situations resolve in two to three days.
I decided one more night in separation. They were both out in the main house and the other cat in the bedroom. Once he started vocalizing because he wanted out, they wouldn’t leave his door and were hissing. Is that okay to let them do that? I kept trying to redirect them but their only mission was to be at the door. Do I just let that happen, along with the hissing until that stops? I don’t have time to constantly supervise and redirect.