Cat Feeding Station

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure I have the right forum for this but this seem closest to the subject. I'm planning a feeding staion for the kitties at the back of the yard. Have to get the cat food off the porch where it's drawing flies, raccoons, skunks and possums.

It's for the ferals. I feed the kittens inside where I can monitor their food intake and and be sure they're doing well.

Any ideas, suggestions? I've never done this before.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a google image search on feral cat feeding stations. You will find many ideas. I started with a simple rubber maid and then my DH made these

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very nice. I went to the Feral Cat Tails blog and checked it out. It has some good ideas. I never thought about building shelters, but they would be good to have. Here in Michigan, it gets very cold in winter. Last winter, I really worried about the kitties, it was so very cold. I had a hard time keeping them supplied with fresh drinking water. The microwavable heating pad would be good to place under their waterbowls to keep them from freezing up so fast. I'm going back to the site later and check it out in more detail, later.

Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Ohio so we have cold winters too. If you have an electrical outlet you can get heated water/food bowls. Also heat pads. I started using the microwave heat discs and they did fairly well.

Have you thought of just using straw (not hay) to fill a large rubbermaid? Some cats just love it. They can burrow down into it and stay very warm. Other cats do not care for the itchy straw.

Thank you for caring for these kitties. Be sure that they cats you are caring for are spayed/neutered. If not you will soon have more cats than you know what to do with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Working on getting them fixed, now. No electrical outlets outside so that's a no-go. I looked up the microwavable pads on Amazon and the price seems pretty reasonable, but the heating pads would probably work better. I'll have to figure something out before winter sets in again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now is a great time to plan ahead. The price usually is cheapest now in the summer when they are not needed.

Get them fixed now too. They will all be so much happier and healthier.