Cat Farts

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not a vet.
Honestly, that looks like a food allergy as opposed to environmental. Just my opinion.

If she was my cat. I would not give any treats. I don’t care if they say they are hypoallergenic or not. They lie. I would stick with only the vet prescribed diet and nothing else, no matter what.

I would check with your vet about a canned version of what you are feeding unless you are already feeding canned. Cats can be very sensitive to the carbohydrates in dry food.

I would get a referral to a board certified veterinary dermatologist ASAP. It was a game changer for my cat.

I would make sure to have my cat on the schedule of giving the steroids, Prednisolone, I presume, at night. It is better metabolized that way.

I would consider once everything is under control, decreasing the Prednisolone dose to every other evening, or even skipping a night every third day, if and only if the vet agreed.

Always make sure to discuss any change you may want to make in your cat’s treatment plan, diet included, with your veterinarian, before doing anything new.

If this was my cat, I would also make sure there are not any fleas ever. I would want to be sure a skin scraping had been done to check for external parasites, and that a fugal culture was done as well. I would also consider asking the vet about doing a skin biopsy.You really need a dermatologist for this, in my opinion.

I would also, if my cat, want a complete blood panel done to rule this out as being something secondary to an internal problem.

I would also keep my cat out of the sunlight. If this was my cat.🙀😺🙀

Hope some of this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Well so far we haven’t had a return of the gas so somewhat hopeful that it’s starting to be resolved.

Just wanted to add all treats are pre-approved by the vets but we did work out today after a very long phone call that the treats she was getting previously had changed their ingredients which would explain why she had been fine with them until recently(Fish Gravy was added to the ingredients which it hadn’t been prior, no idea why this was done)

They checked every ingredient of her new treats and have been given approval to be given in moderation(One treat per day and her medication can be hidden in the treat).

The vets have tried to reduce her medication several times before once she became stable but the problem reoccurred every time so they have nofound the minimum dose that maintains her condition.

She did have some tests awhile back which was determined a food & unknown environmental allergen, Due to the unknown environmental we make sure absolutely everything we use at home is safe, white vinegar for cleaning etc, hypoallergenic laundry stuff and keep 2 Dyson Air Purifiers running 24/7 just to be safe.

She has never had fleas and is checked by myself(weekly) and the vets each time she goes for her health checks, She’s an indoor only cat so the risk of fleas is minimal but there’s always a chance one can make its way in for an external source so I check her weekly(wet paper test, magnifier test, fur/skin check).

I have asked the vets before about reducing her steroids but they told me if I decided to do this it would be against their medical advise as they have already tried reducing with extremely negative results(the picture I included in a previous reply for example)

The vets said in their opinion she is currently receiving the appropriate care and medication to maintain her condition and that she is clearly well looked after at home, they did say she is a very pleasant and friendly kitty when she comes in for her checks and how cuddly she becomes(she enjoys been centre of attention lol).

She’s also had a behavioural therapist which came to our home, thankfully she was given an all clear on that one, They were especially impressed by the amount of toys and scratching towers/posts etc.

Not sure why the company who made her previous treats changed their ingredients without notice but the vets have said they will no longer recommend them as the fish gravy is a common allergen and can no longer class the treats as hypoallergenic(even though they are advertised as such), one thing for certain I will check every single pack of her new treats when they arrive to make sure an extra ingredient doesn’t make it into them.

Huge credit to Lisahe(You might have saved other people at the vets I go to from having to go through this as they will be sending an email out to everyone they have recommended the treats to that they ingredients have changed and are no longer hypoallergenic)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to have a good talk with your vet, Luchia Luchia . I'm also glad to hear that your vet is going to contact everyone they recommended the fishy treats to. Recipes can change a lot without any notice.

I hope your cat continues to do better without those treats!

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had one little fart tonight, no where near as potent and thankfully just one rather than 3-4 so hoping the old treats are working their way out of her system

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had one little fart tonight, no where near as potent and thankfully just one rather than 3-4 so hoping the old treats are working their way out of her system
It can take time! If she's a fast eater that could be part of it, too.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to say it could be the Fortiflora as I heard some pet parents said their dog or cat got gas on it. But reading more through the thread I am suspecting it is the fish gravy added to her treats. If she did fine on the treats til recently when the formula change that could be it. Casper & Scooter if I gave them any cat food that had fish in it they would fart like crazy. They would smell like a grown man farting. I started lowering their fish intake to ease up their gas. But then Scooter got a UTI in September this year. I decided to cut out anything fish for them. They get Purina Pro Plan urinary food for wet & Purina One+ Urinary for dry. Even though Purina Pro Plan urinary does have 2 fish flavors I won’t give it to them. They get nothing with fish even their treats are anything but fish. Although I feel bad cause if I open a can of tuna they come running cause I use to give them the tuna juice. But since Scooters uti I do what I can to keep both he & Casper healthy even though Casper didn’t have the UTI it’s just easier to feed them the same thing. Luckily since I decided not to give them fish and decided to go with Purina urinary foods over the expensive prescription foods that was making Scooter sick they haven’t been farting like crazy. I mean they do fart every now & then but it’s their normal passing gas natural occurrence farts. It could have been your kitty needed time to work the fish out of her system. Hopefully your kitty feels better soon!

Side random note they say fish is bad for your cat. Well if it is then why is there a lot of fish flavored food & treats? I mean even prescription foods have fish flavors. Yet we are told not to give them fish or too much fish. I never really got that.

Luchia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update

Since changing the treats her gas has reduced drastically, she did pass a little toot last night but again no where near as potent as before so seems to be resolving.

Been quite strict with the new treats too as I don’t want to cause an upset tummy with something new, I’m cutting 1 treat in half and giving her half on a morning and half at night, The new treat is also great for hiding her tablet in so that’s a lot less stress each day for her too

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update

Since changing the treats her gas has reduced drastically, she did pass a little toot last night but again no where near as potent as before so seems to be resolving.

Been quite strict with the new treats too as I don’t want to cause an upset tummy with something new, I’m cutting 1 treat in half and giving her half on a morning and half at night, The new treat is also great for hiding her tablet in so that’s a lot less stress each day for her too
I'm very glad to hear this! I bet it was that fish gravy.