Cat Farts

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but one of my kitties farts a lot, and they are silent but extremely smelly. I have never had a kitty with this problem before. His poops are normal looking and he seems otherwise ok, but the stink bombs are stomach turning. He gets wet food (fancy feast) twice a day with Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach available for snacking.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Does he seem to eat very fast? Sometimes this can cause farting in cats, because then they swallow extra air. Does he have any other symptoms? Like scooting on his bottom, or pain when touching his abdomen? With cat farts, if it's just a few isolated incidents, I don't think it's a cause for concern, but since this seems to be a recurring issue with your boy, I'd recommend checking in with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for answering. No scooting on his bottom, or sensitivity to touching. He doesn't seem to gobble his food--or at least no more than any other cat!

Sallysoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You want to try to give probiotics. I give my kitty one probiotic tablet if I happen to hear him fart or his stool is loose. That happens only occasionally but if is continuously, better see a vet.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm honored with the smell bombs, too! My kitties do eat fast. Where can I get good quality probiotics? Are they really necessary?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my cat x-rayed that showed he had a lot of gas which is a sign of colititis. I don't think cat farts are normal. I changed his diet and it made his stool normal. I am sticking to a better brand of chicken canned food.

Dilutetortislave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is rare!

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've heard or smelled a cat fart.

In kittens, under 1 year, sometimes this is caused by a cheap food with fillers and junk such as Purina, which a local shelter tends to send home with new adoptions.

I usually forget about the fact that animals can fart until I spend time with my BFF, who is a dog person, and she talks about how her dog lets out a smelly fart when they're all relaxing at home on the couch. Gross, glad I don't live with a dog :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of my cats farted, once. I had both of my guys on some purina dry food for a year with financial difficulties (before one developed an allergy.) So I think part of it is the brand & part of it is the cat. If one of your cats is doing it all the time I would take him to the vet and consider a diet change.

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Original poster here. I have three cats and only one has this problem. He has had a hard life: came from a hoarding situation and was not socialized, infected with herpes virus, etc. He farts several times a week, not continually, but they are smelly. No diarrhea, but I've noticed that he does eat very fast and prefers dry food to the wet. I may try another dry food. He's been eating Purina One sensitive stomach. Any recommendations?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before my punk developed his chicken allergy I fed my guys science diet. A slow feeder might help him & or a wet food only diet. I'm sure your vet will know which food produces the least gas :)

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I adopted a cat, she farted. I gave some yogurt and it stopped. She happened to be a cat that wasn't reactionary to the dairy in the yogurt. But a cat appropriate probiotic would probably help. It's likely from an unbalanced selection of gut bacteria, which is what I had read about the issue. I don't remember where I read it now though.

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am going to try a probiotic.

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Original poster here. I have three cats and only one has this problem. He has had a hard life: came from a hoarding situation and was not socialized, infected with herpes virus, etc. He farts several times a week, not continually, but they are smelly. No diarrhea, but I've noticed that he does eat very fast and prefers dry food to the wet. I may try another dry food. He's been eating Purina One sensitive stomach. Any recommendations?
I buy a better quality dry food online, like Chicken Soup for the Soul, Orijen Arcana, and lately Taste of the Wild.
They are all rated as a better quality cat food.
M'Lady buys Purina Cat Chow locally as their McDonalds Happy Meal equivalent.
They love 'em both.
We mix them.
Then, they do add their own supplements.
We found 1/2 a small rat on the lanai yesterday.
We've never heard a stomach rumble out of either cat, not that I remember ever hearing one from any cat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my boys taste of the wild. Before that I fed them Eukanuba (but petco stopped carrying it.) Before that Science diet. I would recommend any of those brands but I have no idea which brand would cause the least gas. I think wet food would since it is all meat which is what cats should be eating since they are carnivores not omnivores.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Gradually change diet to a low-fiber, easily digestible food. Ask your vet for a recommendation." - Cat Flatulence (Gas) Causes and Treatments It also says you may want to avoid cat foods that contain wheat, soy or corn.... and is low in fiber. So basically wet food. Lastly it could be a food allergy ... which takes you back to the vet.