Cat Eye Infection: Redness In Eye Corner, Watery, Red Discharge

rsh52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I have a cat that I adopted from a neighbor who wnt through some stuff, so I don't know her age but I will say it's around 5 to 6 years. she went through castration a couple years ago and recovered well, had an ear infection that I used Oridermyl for for the advised period, but one of her ears did not heal totally. she has been a house cat all her life, I have no other animals. Sorry if I bore you but i'm trying to provide all possible information.

Now, yesterday I noticed redness around her eyes that I thought it was blood and freaked out, I wiped it gently and it appeared to be red discharge. I dismissed it thinking it's a one time thing. Today her eye got worse, more redness, more red discharge, blinking and watery eye, over all her eye color (usually bright yellow now dark honey color most of the time) seems darker and she squint it.

She seems fine other than that, actually I'm writing this while she is eating next to me, and she played today too.

Please advise me, I will take her to a vet asap but I live in a kind of rural area where vets are cattle specialized, and I don't trust them. (also, English is not my first language so bear with me please)

here is her picture, you can see the redness on the left side of the photo

IMG-20181030-WA0000.jpg

If any other information is needed tell me please, thanks for your help in Advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Your English is excellent :)

If she got something in her eye, they (vets) should be able to get it out.
Hopefully someone with more experience will come in here for you.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Your English is great! I can’t speak two languages so wonderful job.

Your kitty can have many things, it could also just be a simple eye infection.

1. Feline upper respiratory infections.
A frequent cause of eye discharge in cats, these can include viruses such as feline calicivirus, a contagious respiratory disease, pneumonitis or rhinotracheitis (herpesvirus), bacteria, and protozoa. Symptoms can be mild or progress to something very serious and may include a sticky, pus-like eye discharge.

2. Conjunctivitis (pink eye) . An inflammation of the light pink lining around your cat’s eye, conjunctivitis can cause one or both of your cat’s eyes to look red and swollen, be light-sensitive, and have clear, teary or thick mucus eye discharge. Conjunctivitis with fever, diarrhea, and trouble breathing can point to potentially fatal feline infectious peritonitis, though this isn’t very common.

You can more here;
Cat Eye Discharge and Eye Problems

Sorry! I don’t have much knowledge in cat eye problems. I know a small bit though.

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

A frequent cause of eye discharge in cats, these can include viruses such as feline calicivirus, a contagious respiratory disease, pneumonitis or rhinotracheitis (herpesvirus), bacteria, and protozoa. Symptoms can be mild or progress to something very serious and may include a sticky, pus-like eye discharge.

2. Conjunctivitis (pink eye) . An inflammation of the light pink lining around your cat’s eye, conjunctivitis can cause one or both of your cat’s eyes to look red and swollen, be light-sensitive, and have clear, teary or thick mucus eye discharge. Conjunctivitis with fever, diarrhea, and trouble breathing can point to potentially fatal feline infectious peritonitis, though this isn’t very common.

You can more here;

Sorry! I don’t have much knowledge in cat eye problems. I know a small bit though.

You can read more here*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rsh52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Your English is excellent :)

If she got something in her eye, they (vets) should be able to get it out.
Hopefully someone with more experience will come in here for you.
Thank you so much!

rsh52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

You can more here;

Thank you Aieko!
I went through the article and it's very helpful I think her problem is limited in the two points you posted here, I wish I could do more till the vet visit.

rsh52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is another picture, I wiped her eye with cool unsweetened red tea and she seems able to open it now. (infected eye on the left side)

IMG-20181030-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20181030-WA0002.jpg