Cat Eye Colors

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do cat eye colors have actual names? Because I was wondering what color you'd consider my kittens' eyes. They're not quite fully golden IMO because they've got a hint of green in them.
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

Also, I was curious as to what the difference between a grey and a blue cat is? Salt (bottom photo) would be classified as a blue and white domestic shorthair, right? His tail is rather fascinating, as it appears to have faint rings of darker grey on it. Is this typical of blue cats, or unique to him? And lastly, are tuxedo cats only black and white or would a Salt also classify as a tuxedo?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artistwolf Artistwolf - There's no universal agreement as to eye colour "names." Beyond the basic colour chart:

Various breeds - and especially among breeders and judges - use different designations to describe eye colouration. Egyptian Maus are said, as a part of the Breed Standard, to have, "Gooseberry green," eyes; Bombays - whether British or American - should have copper eyes, Tonkinese should, by the Breed Standard, have aqua eyes. There's a chart online which "matches" common coat/eye colour combinations here:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/b444/..._cat_colors__patterns_by_majnouna-d1iivd0.jpg

The term, "tuxedo," is informal, and usually applied to black and white bicolours, but if John Boyega can wear a purple tuxedo, I can't see any reason that Salt shouldn't be called a blue and white tuxedo.

"Grey," and, "blue," are synonymous.

They're both lovely kitties!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd describe it as copper, maybe? :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes grey and blue are the same. Although blue has often a shimmer of blue.
These solid colors have sometimes ghost stripes. How to know which is blue tabby and which ghost? Sometimes its difficult to see and know on moggies. But for example Russian blue has them sometimes. And they being purebred dont carry the tabby gene.

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes grey and blue are the same. Although blue has often a shimmer of blue.
These solid colors have sometimes ghost stripes. How to know which is blue tabby and which ghost? Sometimes its difficult to see and know on moggies. But for example Russian blue has them sometimes. And they being purebred dont carry the tabby gene.
I thought tabby color could show up in any breed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought tabby color could show up in any breed?
Correct. With the exception of breeds where tabby isnt allowed. So the theoretical tabbies arent used in further breeding.
Is may be difficult with recessive genes. The point pattern isnt wished and strongly suppressed, yet it happens now and then in RB... Its because they used some blue pointed siameses in the beginning of the 50´ies. Also some occasional Novice of unclear background could have pointed Ancestors.
But tabby is dominant. If you have the gene, its immediately visible. So its not difficult to take them out from active breeding programmes.

Of course, mixes after RB, oops matings, etc, can easily be tabbies. Just mate with a tabby and there you are.

There WERE tries to create a Russian Tabby, but I dont think they continued.