Cat even more obsessed with food

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted before about our 13 year old female tuxie who is obsessed with food. We managed to get it toned down a bit, by breaking up her meals, so more feeding times but the same amount of food. We feet an equal combo of wet and high quality high protein dry food. But since we are now both working from home and have been for over a week, she has taken to crying for food every hour on the hour. Crying like she’s physically in pain. She will stop only briefly. She gets zero response from us. We stick to the normal feeding times. Both of us are constantly tripping over her because anytime we get up, she runs right next to our feet and follows us meowing. I shut her out of the kitchen it did not help! She scratched the door and meowed from the otheside. When we do feed her she gobbles it down in five seconds and then starts the meowing all over again. We have let her outside (on our porch) more, opening the window so she could look outside, I am playing with her more, but nothing stops it. She normally sleeps the entire day (we have cameras), but since we are here she thinks she should be fed every hour, and she would eat until she got sick, there is no off switch. She has no health problems, she was just at the vet a week ago. I am ready to put her in our basement with her litter during our working hours, so we can get some work done. Will this pass? It’s been everyday for 7 days. She sleeps a normal 8 hours at night, no issue there, its during the daytime.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet didn't indicate any kind of weight issue, either over or under?

This body condition chart can help if you haven't seen it already. If it were me I'd try different brands of food - it's possible her system isn't able to process the nutrients and leaves her feeling hungry.

Redirect Notice - body condition chart and info.

Have you actually let her eat canned food until she's satiated?

Best Automatic Feeders For Cats (including 17 Detailed Reviews) – Cat Articles

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – Cat Articles

However, I'm also wondering if she's bored, or more appropriately, missing love from you. I know you said you're playing with her more but from what it sounds like, it isn't nearly enough. It appears to me as though the only time she's getting real attention/interaction from you is when she's fed. Don't forget, perception is everything, and she wants and needs more of you both.

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – Cat Articles

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – Cat Articles

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – Cat Articles

From tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 try toys with honeysuckle or valerian, and the rip-snortin' SILVERVINE! Cats are very social. They crave our attention. They love when we play with them with interactive toys such as Cat Dancer and da Bird. But DIY things like boxes, paper bags, crinkled up paper or foil balls, etc., are great also.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If she is used to having no one home all day, part of what she is doing is simply reacting to having you there all the time. Some of that will likely settle down some the longer you are home all day. And, some of the constant meowing may not be totally tied to just food, but the change to her routine (not to mention she is just getting older). This whole arrangement is as new to her as it is to you, and one week is hardly enough time for adaptation, especially with an older cat. Timed feeders that open at set times, and place a small amount of wet/dry food in them accordingly - I have seen them with as many as 6 slots/times for food. Slow feeders for the dry food is another option.

I don't think you will get results from shutting her in the basement, as she can still hear you are present in the house. So, she will just do the same thing she did when you shut her out of the kitchen. So, for now watch your feet when moving about, give her a small petting when she runs to you and then move on to what you were going to do. Wear ear plugs if you have to, and wait and see if it settles down any over time.

Feeby (15+yo) has begun to squawk incessantly at times throughout the day - no real change in my schedule though, and hers doesn't necessarily appear to be solely related to food. I just pet her for a minute or two and move on - most of the time it works, even if only for a little while. For whatever reason, she needs more assurance from me than she used to. Maybe that is part of what is going on with your elderly lady as well.

And, while it is not likely that it is necessarily a health issue, if she didn't have a full senior check up (full blood panel including CBC, Chemistry Profile, thyroid) possibly even included urinalysis, a generalized 'look over' by the vet doesn't rule out possible health issues that might be brewing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do a blood test? Several diseases can cause increase in hunger. Diabetes, hyperthyroidism and a few others can cause it. In most cases the only way to diagnose these is a blood test.
Yes totally healthy. Just food obsessed.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. If she is used to having no one home all day, part of what she is doing is simply reacting to having you there all the time. Some of that will likely settle down some the longer you are home all day. And, some of the constant meowing may not be totally tied to just food, but the change to her routine (not to mention she is just getting older). This whole arrangement is as new to her as it is to you, and one week is hardly enough time for adaptation, especially with an older cat. Timed feeders that open at set times, and place a small amount of wet/dry food in them accordingly - I have seen them with as many as 6 slots/times for food. Slow feeders for the dry food is another option.

I don't think you will get results from shutting her in the basement, as she can still hear you are present in the house. So, she will just do the same thing she did when you shut her out of the kitchen. So, for now watch your feet when moving about, give her a small petting when she runs to you and then move on to what you were going to do. Wear ear plugs if you have to, and wait and see if it settles down any over time.

Feeby (15+yo) has begun to squawk incessantly at times throughout the day - no real change in my schedule though, and hers doesn't necessarily appear to be solely related to food. I just pet her for a minute or two and move on - most of the time it works, even if only for a little while. For whatever reason, she needs more assurance from me than she used to. Maybe that is part of what is going on with your elderly lady as well.

And, while it is not likely that it is necessarily a health issue, if she didn't have a full senior check up (full blood panel including CBC, Chemistry Profile, thyroid) possibly even included urinalysis, a generalized 'look over' by the vet doesn't rule out possible health issues that might be brewing.
I think you are correct. Maybe she is stressed due to the change in routine? She’s usually very easy going on these things though so it’s odd. We have a feeder that we set on our phones with dry food, and yes we could set it to every 10 minutes if we want. But I have concerns that when we go back to work she will have the same expectations. Ear plugs won’t work when we are trying to do teleconferences and skype sessions. She’s had a full work up. I am 99% certain this is psychological. Thanks for your help. I hope it will pass I will update. Like I said she’s always been obsessed with food.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't indicate any kind of weight issue, either over or under?

This body condition chart can help if you haven't seen it already. If it were me I'd try different brands of food - it's possible her system isn't able to process the nutrients and leaves her feeling hungry.

Redirect Notice - body condition chart and info.

Have you actually let her eat canned food until she's satiated?

Best Automatic Feeders For Cats (including 17 Detailed Reviews) – Cat Articles

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – Cat Articles

However, I'm also wondering if she's bored, or more appropriately, missing love from you. I know you said you're playing with her more but from what it sounds like, it isn't nearly enough. It appears to me as though the only time she's getting real attention/interaction from you is when she's fed. Don't forget, perception is everything, and she wants and needs more of you both.

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – Cat Articles

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – Cat Articles

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – Cat Articles

From tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 try toys with honeysuckle or valerian, and the rip-snortin' SILVERVINE! Cats are very social. They crave our attention. They love when we play with them with interactive toys such as Cat Dancer and da Bird. But DIY things like boxes, paper bags, crinkled up paper or foil balls, etc., are great also.
Oh she’s absolutely overweight by about 2 pounds. It used to be worse but we got her down on a diet. How much canned food would she eat until she’s satisfied, I can only tell you that she has eaten three cans of food in one sitting and would have eaten more if it was still there. I really don’t think it has anything to do with physical hunger. Our attempts at free feeding dry food watched her eat an entire weeks food in one day. So we gave up on that. The issue is though we normally are gone for 8 hours or more a day, and she sleeps so she was getting zero play time except when we were at home. Now since we are working remotely she is getting five times the amount of play or more. I think if we are here she’s going to ask for food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I have concerns that when we go back to work she will have the same expectations.
You may have to do some transitioning when that happens. Take one issue at a time! Get through this one first! I just have a soft spot in my heart for older kitties and their special needs - it just seems like so many do!! (I am sure you can tell!!).

Keep us posted please.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just have a soft spot in my heart for older kitties and their special needs - it just seems like so many do!! (I am sure you can tell!!).
:hearthrob:

It used to be worse but we got her down on a diet.
oh goodness, poor cat, poor you! ...so she begged like that before the diet?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may have to do some transitioning when that happens. Take one issue at a time! Get through this one first! I just have a soft spot in my heart for older kitties and their special needs - it just seems like so many do!! (I am sure you can tell!!).

Keep us posted please.
Over the weekend we tried doing as you suggested, releasing food from the feeder every 30 minutes in small amounts, it only transitioned to her now meowing to go outside incessantly. We let her out onto the back porch (where she usually goes a few times a day), she stays out for a minute or two then comes back inside. Then she meows to go out the front door, which we only let her do on a leash. So we take her out the front door and she asks to come back in and then meows to go out the back door. Then she meows for food. We are at our wits end. I do not know what she is asking from us. We are giving her what she asks for, but it's not appeasing her?! Unfortunately what we are going to do today is that every time she meows we will put her in the basement (where she access to food, water and her little box and lots of space to roam), and when she's quiet we will let her back out. as soon as she meows again we will place her in the basement. I hope that she will adjust to this new normal soon?! She's actually pretty trainable overall.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be hard for me to do that with Feeby, but I understand why you want to try it. Accommodating her every meow has apparently only reinforced her behavior - as is often the case. With Feeby's incessant squawking, there doesn't appear to be any particular motivator for her doing it, so that is why I acknowledge/pet her to get her to stop. If I don't she just continues to squawk - so that is why I believe her reason is mostly for attention/security.

Hopefully, your girl quiets down and can be let out of the basement fairly quickly each time. Let us know if you make any headway with this tactic!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are giving her what she asks for
I'm not there so I don't know, but what happens if you pick her up and hold her and love her, without any other distractions? Thinking of her as a crying human baby...

Have you tried any calming products? Cat music?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not there so I don't know, but what happens if you pick her up and hold her and love her, without any other distractions? Thinking of her as a crying human baby...

Have you tried any calming products? Cat music?
If I pick her up hold and love her, she may stay for a minute but then squirms and wiggles and meows to get free. That is her normal behavior though she's not a super cuddly cat, and when she wants to cuddle it's on her terms. She will come to you. Calming products we have tried in the past, mostly for her sister who is more anxious, but not acting any differently at this time oddly enough, like the plug in things, the wipes you rub on them, etc, and it actually seemed to make things worse. They hated the smell and would run anytime we came near them with it.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are you and your sweetie doing?

I was thinking about you when I saw this article, it might have something useful;
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – Cat Articles
Thanks, we have 99% of those things in that list. She has a back porch which is enclosed she can go on at will with a cat door, we have a window seat that she can look out and watch the birds. I have an ipad that I put Youtube videos of birds she likes on, she has toys, boxes, catnip we often give her but she does not have much of a reaction to it, I am not sure there is much else we can do, other than leave 20 cans of food in her bowl and let her become a true indoor outdoor cat so she roams outside.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be hard for me to do that with Feeby, but I understand why you want to try it. Accommodating her every meow has apparently only reinforced her behavior - as is often the case. With Feeby's incessant squawking, there doesn't appear to be any particular motivator for her doing it, so that is why I acknowledge/pet her to get her to stop. If I don't she just continues to squawk - so that is why I believe her reason is mostly for attention/security.

Hopefully, your girl quiets down and can be let out of the basement fairly quickly each time. Let us know if you make any headway with this tactic!
Thanks, update it's not helping much. She actually will stay in the basement (our basement is huge and finished with lots of things to explore), but as soon as we let her out, she starts up again. The only solution is to leave her in the basement all day while we are working, which I don't want to do. I almost feel like she only wants to do things we won't let her do. So if she asks to go out on the back porch and we let her on it, then she comes back in and asks to go outside on a leash, we walk her on a leash then she comes in and wants to go on the back porch, then she wants to eat, we give her food and she wants to eat my shoes, it truly never ends. I don't know why she's doing this!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I apologise that I don't recall but have you tried any calming products?

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.

This post talks about some other products;

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to post an update, that this has not gotten any better, in fact it has gotten worse and I am not sure how much more of this I can take from her. The only difference is her requests to go outside, are becoming less and less and her request for food has skyrocketed. Her feeder is set to feed her at 4:30 am every morning. It has a camera on it so we know it is working and feeding her. Yet she continues to wake us up every morning at 4:45 am, including weekends for more food. When I finally do get up to feed her there is still some dry food in her feeder bowl that she has not eaten but she is asking for wet food. If we shut the bedroom door she will scratch and throw herself at it and literally scream for food. We tried ignoring her but she still continues. It is so loud we cannot block it out even with earplugs and a fan. During the day she continues to meow all day for food, I mean for hours. We put her outside to play (on a gated back porch), we try playing with her, offering her a toy, giving her attention, she does not want that she just wants food. No matter what we do she returns right to her bowl and stands in front of it and meows. This morning she woke me up at 4:45 am, and tripped me on my way to the kitchen, screaming for more food. I have accidentally stepped on her tail, and her foot on more the one occasion because she literally follows me around at my feet begging. But this morning I actually fell to the ground and I was not happy. She does it more to my fiance than she does to me. We are together 24/7 so I know he is not slipping her food behind my back. I have been interrupted daily on phone and zoom conferences with her constant crying. We took her to the vet shortly after my original post, and they did blood work, nothing is wrong. It's a behavioral issue they gave us most of the same suggestions that were on here which we had already tried. If we are not here, she does not cry for food, we know we can watch the camera and see it. I put down three cans of wet food at once late last week, to see what she would do, and just as I expected she ate it all at once, and to her credit was quiet for a full hour but then it started all over again. How can she still be hungry? I am starting to think the only way to deal with this cat is to let her gorge herself, otherwise she will never be happy or satiated and she will drive us to insanity. What do I do?