Cat Escaped, Only Way To Get Her Back Is To Trap Her?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my 7 month female kitten escaped a little under 2 hours ago.

Was doing a lot of cleaning and locked myself in my bedroom so they won't come in, but I must have accidentally left the door not fully closed, so the wind blew it open. I went outside to get some water and didn't see them anywhere, so then I realized walked to the door. Both my kittens were standing outside right next to the door, as I moved closer, my male 5 month kitten ran back in, but my 7 month female ran outside. She got scared by the neighbors dogs and bolted in some unknown direction.

I got out some tuna and litter outside right away. I then walked around shaking her treat bag. I talked to some neighbors as well.

She is chipped, but there's a few stray and feral cats in my neighborhood, and I don't know why anyone would capture her if they don't already want to get one of the stray/feral cats?

She is deathly shy, and will sometimes hide underneath my bed for no reason at all. So at this point I'm just going to wait until night to search for her again.

But due to her shyness, and all the other cats around I don't think my chances of finding her are any good. Just ordered a cat trap that will get her here on Tuesday.

I have a security camera outside my apartment, but the thing is she comes back to my apartment to eat, she'll run away again by just hearing the lock on my door so she won't even be able to see me..

Thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you read over everything in this thread? Tips for finding a lost cat

One time one of mine accidentally got out and we searched for her for weeks. I'd finally given up on ever seeing her again when I heard her pitiful meow! Yes, it was her and she was under our neighbor's deck. It took quite an effort ot retrieve her from under there, but we finally got her and she never went near our front door again! So the point is, don't give iup hope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you read over everything in this thread? Tips for finding a lost cat

One time one of mine accidentally got out and we searched for her for weeks. I'd finally given up on ever seeing her again when I heard her pitiful meow! Yes, it was her and she was under our neighbor's deck. It took quite an effort ot retrieve her from under there, but we finally got her and she never went near our front door again! So the point is, don't give iup hope
Hello,

Yes I read all that, but I just don't see how this will work out at all. She's so shy that I fear she just may be stuck in an area and never move out no matter how dark it is. Not sure how she'll survive without water or food either. I don't know, will search again in an hour when it's dark, and talk to more people tomorrow, and will continue for the rest of the month, but I'm already completely disheartened.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a big apartment building? Has she ever been outside before? Maybe try calling her and shaking a treat bag?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoops, you said you already tried shaking the treat bag.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whoops, you said you already tried shaking the treat bag.
This is what my apartment looks like. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZ7TisknZfaG8Y283

Their not really inside one big building, just a bunch of small townhouses I guess. She was outside once before, but she ran right back inside, and was really only outside for maybe 10 seconds. Will be trying the treat bag later tonight.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well don't give up hope yet. It looks like a rather safe neighborhood. If the townhouses look similar, maybe she got confused and someone took her in. I would keep talking to neighbors and maybe post a notice somewhere or online.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would continue feeding her and encouraging her to come back.
Since the trap won't be here til Tuesday, you might try luring her into a "hidden" place (a few boxes stacked up with a tarp/blanket thrown over) to get her used to approaching a closed in space for her food, so when the trap arrives you can tuck it into that spot without having her spend more time outside, wary of the trap or it's location.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would continue feeding her and encouraging her to come back.
Since the trap won't be here til Tuesday, you might try luring her into a "hidden" place (a few boxes stacked up with a tarp/blanket thrown over) to get her used to approaching a closed in space for her food, so when the trap arrives you can tuck it into that spot without having her spend more time outside, wary of the trap or it's location.
Yeah the problem is just attracting her in general and keeping her in this area.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well some good news, she did come back for quite a while.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uKRtJ48EnQ6Yp3f33

Sadly it was around 3:47-4:47 am and I was asleep. But now I really have to get her soon, since it'll be thunderstorming tomorrow night. Also worried that it was below freezing temperatures around 20 degrees F.

So thoughts? Do you think she'll come back again tonight? I used litter, several different kinds of cat food, and my own pee.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good! So at least she knows which townhouse is yours. I think this is good news!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh good! So at least she knows which townhouse is yours. I think this is good news!

Yeah probably won't sleep tonight, and just wait it out. She did hang around for at least an hour, exactly 60 minutes if my security cameras are right.

Do you think there's a high chance she'll come back to my location?

Also if I can't get a trap, how should I go about getting her if she's just hanging out in front of my door? I'm worried that even unlocking my door will get her to bolt, and even if I keep it unlocked and my door slightly open the slightest move from me will get her to bolt.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think she'll come back. The only thing you can do is try. Talk to her so she knows it's you, say her name or any words she knows. I think she'll recognize your voice.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think she'll come back. The only thing you can do is try. Talk to her so she knows it's you, say her name or any words she knows. I think she'll recognize your voice.
Okay thanks for the info and help!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

Kind of an emergency, but Lilo got out yesterday around 4pm.

I was moving some boxes, and didn't fully close my front door, the wind blew it open, and both my kittens stepped out. Sawyer ran back in when he saw me approaching, but Lilo bolted. She saw a dog barking at her and must have gotten scared, and ran away.

I tried searching for her then, and when it was pitch dark, but no luck.

Thankfully at 3:37 she came back, and hanged around my "lawn" for an hour, till 4:47. Then she just walked away.

Hopefully this means she'll easily find her way back and come again tonight. I ordered a trap from amazon, but it won't get here until Tueday, and it'll be thunder-storming on Tuesday so I need to get her in the house today.

I'm going to ask the local shelters to see if they have a trap, and if not I'm not sure what I'll do since she will probably bolt if she sees the door even slightly open.

Any ideas?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did she come back yet?
Ah no, if you see in the video I posted above she came back around 3:00 am today in the morning, but left after an hour.

Planning to stay up all night tonight. Got a trap setup, and will keep my front door open.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Found her!!!!

Just now half an hour ago I was setting up the trap outside when I heard a weak meow, thought I was imagining it, but after 10 minutes I realize it was a meow that was getting louder, found her below my neighbors chair. I moved closer and got to pet her, but then she moved away. Not wanting to scare her I just started throwing temptation treats near her and pretty much emptied a new container before I decided to slowly move closer to her and grabbed her. She didn't resist much.

Got her home.

I immediately put some food in front of her, not too much since I didn't want her to eat a lot after so long, not sure if this was wise. But she didn't eat and went straight for the litterbox. I picked her up and I did notice pretty quickly she lost a lot of weight.

I weighed her a few times on my baby scale and got between 5 pounds 10 ounces and 6 pounds. Which is really bad considering she weighed close to 6 pound 7 ounces a few days ago.

She sneezed once pretty bad on me when I picked her up. But she seems fine. Her paws are a bit dirty, but no dirt it seems and I don't think I should wash them.

Definitely going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but rather not go to emergency vet today unless advised.

Worried she got sick from the 20-30 degree F weather from last night, or she somehow got Fatty Liver Disease from the lack of food for 28 hours.

Thoughts? I also have another 5 month kitten, probably best to separate them for now.

I got her to eat by putting some food in my finger and a few treats in her bowl.

I guess she is meowing more then usual, but no other behavior changes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my opinion, you're right on track, keep them separate, and into the vet for the little escapee tomorrow. Good for you!!