Cat Enclosures?

zen-emij

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been thinking about investing in a cat enclosure outside to give kitty some quality time outdoors, but still be safely confined. Does anyone have experience with any types of outdoor enclosures?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We built ours. It is accessable from a cat door in their room. My DH put a wide shelf on one side to allow for different heights.

It is made of wood and hardware cloth, which is a very heavy wire. It is about 3 feet off the ground and has a door for a person to enter with a lock.

They absolutely love it. It is so good for them to get out and be stimulated by birds and all kinds of critters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zen-emij

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great! It seems like a good compromise towards letting the cats have some fresh outdoor air. I have to do a little research to see if it's better for me to build my own, or buy a commercial one.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enclosures are quite popular over here, it's often cheaper to build your own and there are websites with ideas some enclosures can be quite elaborate with tunnels and play pens throughout the yard.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We bought the PurrFect fence a few months ago. It was expensive (IMO) and (per DH) a pain to install. So far, it has proven to be cat proof.
However, if you have the time and ability to do it yourself, that would be wonderful. That way you could make it according to your specifications and save money. To give you an idea of what something like the Purrfect fence costs, ours was around $2,000.00, including the little gate. That's a lot of kibble!

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a cat specific enclosure but I have an enclosed pool and it's the bestest cat toy ever. They love it out there watching the birds, sniffing the fresh air and even trying to attack the bugs that land on the screens. Definitely what behaviorists would call 'enrichment'. And I love that they're safe while they do all that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_PH

I don't have a cat specific enclosure but I have an enclosed pool and it's the bestest cat toy ever. They love it out there watching the birds, sniffing the fresh air and even trying to attack the bugs that land on the screens. Definitely what behaviorists would call 'enrichment'. And I love that they're safe while they do all that.
Your pool setup is amazing - I am jealous of your cats!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_PH

Yeah, I looked at the pics you posted and was jealous, too. It was like something off MTV Cribs.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a dump. Except for the new pavered pool deck. I had to get that for the kitties. Everybody around here has a pool, it's Florida.

But if you guys like it I'll sell it for $50,000 less than I paid 5 years ago.
Gotta be honest thought. It's dropped $125,000 since then.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just moved into a new apartment and of course Tessie is with me. It's a large 2 family, I love it! Now we have a huge deck outside that runs the whole front of the house. I want to make/get a cat enclosure for her so she can hang out outside with me but I have to be able to take it down and put up easily. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!

cesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we built one, and the cats loved it for years. But the fleas and ticks got so bad around here I'm not comfortable letting them out into it any more.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

I just moved into a new apartment and of course Tessie is with me. It's a large 2 family, I love it! Now we have a huge deck outside that runs the whole front of the house. I want to make/get a cat enclosure for her so she can hang out outside with me but I have to be able to take it down and put up easily. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!
Here are some Cat Tents: Happy Habitat for indoor cats

Pet Gazebo by Kittywalk
Kittywalk Penthouse
Kittywalk outdoor net enclosure
outdoor feline funhouse
Kritter Condo

You get the picture