Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Cat Eats Weird Stuff

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by NT8, Aug 10, 2018.

1. NT8

NT8 Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Aug 6, 2018
    Male cat, Slash, (7), gets a whisked egg every evening and is very partial to raw sliced mushrooms..another, LeeLoo, (5), likes to eat uncooked spaghetti and raw red peppers, her sister, Frisky, eats a handful of rice Krispies maybe once a week and if you leave baked beans on a plate she'll hoover those up aswell. Are any of these harmful to cats? They've been doing it forever but now I have access to this site with other cat owners, would hate to think it's harming them in the long run...their diet is normal the other 90 per cent of the time. They weird?!

2. javannalynn

javannalynn TCS Member Adult Cat

May 18, 2006
    Tucson, Arizona
    actually all of this is ok (as long as you mean bell peppers when you say red peppers). I would be worried the baked beans has onion or garlic which cats can't have.
    you want weird... my Princess loves to lick plastic bags..

here's my source Healthy Fruits and Veggies for Pets – Trupanion Pet Care

NT8 and 1CatOverTheLine purraised this.

3. NT8

Aug 6, 2018
    Thanks! My cat LeeLoo licks plastic bags aswell! Bunch of weirdos our lot!

javannalynn purraised this.

4. javannalynn

May 18, 2006
    Tucson, Arizona
    On instagram i have a video of Theodore eating corn on the cob lol

Caseys_kitties on there

ArchyCat and NT8 purraised this.

5. mekkababble

mekkababble TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    One of Finn's favorite treats is fish food. He hears me shaking the container and comes running for his share.

NT8 purraised this.

6. javannalynn

May 18, 2006
    Tucson, Arizona
    When i had Tubby Cat and lizards his favorite treat was a cricket. I would throw them on the living room floor and he would chase it a minute or 2 and eat it. he knew the sound of them running around in the bag when i came home. It was entertaining.

NT8 purraised this.

7. NT8

Aug 6, 2018
    Yep, we got two turtles and the cats used to knock the food over and scoff the lot..we keep it in a lockable container! Hope Finn sticks with the food and ignores the actual fish!:biggrin:

mekkababble purraised this.

8. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    Toffee has a taste for tin foil. I don't know what could be so appealing about that! He still hasn't seemed to learn that it's not edible, even when we stop him from eating it...
    I think it's quite common for cats to eat food that isn't designated for them; Toffee and Fudge have both been known to eat things like chips, cupcakes, potato farls, coffee, teabags (!) etc.

NT8 purraised this.

9. mikameek

mikameek TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 2, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    Actually, they suggest crickets for cats when putting them on a raw diet. It sounds less crazy when you think about what a cat would be able to hunt and catch in the wild. :p
    They actually recommend doing it once a week, getting a batch of crickets and throwing them in a bathtub for the cat.

10. mikameek

mikameek TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 2, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    My cat Mika is weirdly into plastic too, but like plastic holders for water bottles and the rings for sodas and gatoraid. She also loves a good dried out leaf too. She dive bombs for them when someone drags one in from outside.

NT8 purraised this.

11. Tobermorey

Tobermorey TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    I have a plastic licker, too—Iris—and certain magazines. She prefers National Geographic. She also likes to lick the labels on shipping boxes. And for some odd reason, she licks the edges of the litter boxes, the sharp edge underneath where it curls around. I’ve scrubbed the boxes a dozen times, but she still does it.

And Lily loves tomatoes. :)

mekkababble and NT8 purraised this.

12. Tashanasha

Tashanasha TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 17, 2018
    Nanning, China
    Marx loves potatoes. French fries, mashed, baked... Any kind is good. We can eat all the meat in the world, he wouldn't care, but if he smells potatoes he goes wild. It's ironic considering the time I spend looking for new no carb foods for him :D

ArchyCat and NT8 purraised this.

13. NT8

Aug 6, 2018
    :lol::lol::lol:

14. sabrinah

sabrinah TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 6, 2016
    California
    Cookie likes olives, Doritos, and ranch :dunno:cats are weird.

NT8 purraised this.

15. yeva2292

yeva2292 TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 8, 2016
    Smokey will eat crumpled kleenex, but not straight kleenex. She's also a big plastic licker. She will also eat any polyethylene packing foam she finds, so we have to keep that hidden out of her reach.

NT8 purraised this.

16. mekkababble

mekkababble TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    He doesn't. He'll bat away at the poor fish for 15 minutes at a time. The fish is well protected so I'm not worried about Finn hurting his 'pet'.

17. ailish

ailish TCS Member Adult Cat

Nov 7, 2016
    Ailish likes old dried up dead plant material. The nastier and drier the better. I first noticed this one Christmas when I saw her eating old greens that were around and should have been tossed. Then she starting taking bites out of these ancient sorghum fronds my mother has in a tall vase. I got her a lush green grass feeder they have for cats and, of course, she wanted no part of it. It must be dead and it must be attached to the original plant. No eating something off the floor, that's what dogs do! People food of any kind? Not so much. "What is this THING and what do you expect me to do with it?"

18. qissycat

qissycat TCS Member Young Cat

Nov 13, 2017
    My girl Vanta has eaten some pretty nasty s*&t. She once ate rotten raw chicken that I accidentally left out in 100deg weather. Another time, my other girl Yuki threw up right after her dinner (food sensitivity). I went to fetch stuff to clean with and came back to Vanta eating Yuki's sick. Like literally eating fresh steaming vomit. ***.

Rushed her to the vet both times and came back as healthy as can be. I mean it's not like i starve her, I feed her 200g of raw food a day. Been dewormed and vaccinated so I really don't know where her taste for gross nasty things come from. Her stomach must be made of steel.