Cat eats everything, including his own furballs!

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who LOVES to nibble on everything. He comes running when I carry in the groceries and I have to constantly shoo him away from the bags because he is obsessed with chewing on the plastic. He chews on my hair, and eats any debris he finds on the floor. I brush him a lot and he isn't much of a shedder, but his big cat bed tends to accumulate hair, which he eats, then throws up. I asked the vet during his last emergency trip (he'd gotten into some seedlings that I was growing under lights and eaten them, got sick) and he's perfectly healthy...some cats are just nibblers. I find his hairballs all over the house, though, from him eating/vomiting up his own fur. I try to keep on top of the sweeping and cleaning his bed and brushing, but he's faster. Anyone else have a cat like this? Any hairball remedies? Oddly enough, he's kind of a finicky eater when it comes to actual food. ;) Thanks!

Frankie_nova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one cat who LOVES to nibble on everything. He comes running when I carry in the groceries and I have to constantly shoo him away from the bags because he is obsessed with chewing on the plastic. He chews on my hair, and eats any debris he finds on the floor. I brush him a lot and he isn't much of a shedder, but his big cat bed tends to accumulate hair, which he eats, then throws up. I asked the vet during his last emergency trip (he'd gotten into some seedlings that I was growing under lights and eaten them, got sick) and he's perfectly healthy...some cats are just nibblers. I find his hairballs all over the house, though, from him eating/vomiting up his own fur. I try to keep on top of the sweeping and cleaning his bed and brushing, but he's faster. Anyone else have a cat like this? Any hairball remedies? Oddly enough, he's kind of a finicky eater when it comes to actual food. ;) Thanks!
It sounds like you have a cat who has a strong nibbling habit. While some cats are more prone to nibbling and chewing on various objects, it's important to ensure their safety and well-being. Here are a few suggestions to address the issue:

1. Substitute plastic items: Since your cat seems particularly interested in plastic, try offering alternative chew toys or safe objects for him to nibble on. Look for cat-safe chew toys made of durable materials like rubber or natural fibers. This may help redirect his chewing behavior away from harmful objects like plastic bags.
  2. Provide mental and physical stimulation: Cats often develop destructive habits when they're bored or lack stimulation. Engage your cat in interactive play sessions using toys that encourage chasing and pouncing. Puzzle feeders or treat-dispensing toys can also keep him mentally stimulated. A tired and mentally satisfied cat is less likely to resort to chewing behaviors.
  3. Create a safe environment: Keep potentially harmful objects, such as plastic bags or hair ties, out of your cat's reach. Store them securely in cabinets or drawers. Make sure your cat has access to appropriate scratching posts or pads to help satisfy his natural urge to chew and scratch.
  4. Hairball remedies: To minimize hairball formation, regular grooming is essential. Brush your cat frequently to remove loose fur and prevent him from ingesting excessive hair during self-grooming. Consider using a specialized cat brush designed to reduce shedding. Additionally, you can try hairball remedies such as cat-friendly lubricants or specially formulated treats that aid in digestion and the passage of hairballs.
  5. Consult with your veterinarian: If the hairball issues persist or worsen, it's always a good idea to consult your veterinarian. They may recommend specific hairball remedies or provide additional advice tailored to your cat's needs.
Remember, each cat is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Patience and consistent efforts to redirect your cat's chewing behavior, along with maintaining a clean and safe environment, will help promote his overall well-being.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For hairballs I recommended to my sister the Purina Pro Plan hairball formula and she says it has worked well.

Also you can brush daily. I like to use a combination of silicone glove brushes, a knock-off furminator and a horse deshedder (the last you have to be super careful with).

My friend shaves her cat a bit.

Enrichment definitely helps with the problematic behaviours. There's loads of DIY ideas on the website and on YouTube. You can experiment with what works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a cat who has a strong nibbling habit. While some cats are more prone to nibbling and chewing on various objects, it's important to ensure their safety and well-being. Here are a few suggestions to address the issue:

1. Substitute plastic items: Since your cat seems particularly interested in plastic, try offering alternative chew toys or safe objects for him to nibble on. Look for cat-safe chew toys made of durable materials like rubber or natural fibers. This may help redirect his chewing behavior away from harmful objects like plastic bags.
  2. Provide mental and physical stimulation: Cats often develop destructive habits when they're bored or lack stimulation. Engage your cat in interactive play sessions using toys that encourage chasing and pouncing. Puzzle feeders or treat-dispensing toys can also keep him mentally stimulated. A tired and mentally satisfied cat is less likely to resort to chewing behaviors.
  3. Create a safe environment: Keep potentially harmful objects, such as plastic bags or hair ties, out of your cat's reach. Store them securely in cabinets or drawers. Make sure your cat has access to appropriate scratching posts or pads to help satisfy his natural urge to chew and scratch.
  4. Hairball remedies: To minimize hairball formation, regular grooming is essential. Brush your cat frequently to remove loose fur and prevent him from ingesting excessive hair during self-grooming. Consider using a specialized cat brush designed to reduce shedding. Additionally, you can try hairball remedies such as cat-friendly lubricants or specially formulated treats that aid in digestion and the passage of hairballs.
  5. Consult with your veterinarian: If the hairball issues persist or worsen, it's always a good idea to consult your veterinarian. They may recommend specific hairball remedies or provide additional advice tailored to your cat's needs.
Remember, each cat is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Patience and consistent efforts to redirect your cat's chewing behavior, along with maintaining a clean and safe environment, will help promote his overall well-being.
Some really great advice! I'm going to do some shopping now for toys/chews that he might like. And I need to get better about interactive play. Both cats have a ton of toys, but I don't use the feather wand with them nearly as much as when they were kittens! Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For hairballs I recommended to my sister the Purina Pro Plan hairball formula and she says it has worked well.

Also you can brush daily. I like to use a combination of silicone glove brushes, a knock-off furminator and a horse deshedder (the last you have to be super careful with).

My friend shaves her cat a bit.

Enrichment definitely helps with the problematic behaviours. There's loads of DIY ideas on the website and on YouTube. You can experiment with what works.
I have a Furminator...he isn't too crazy about it. I've never heard about those gloves before...going to look them up! Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a Furminator...he isn't too crazy about it. I've never heard about those gloves before...going to look them up! Thanks!
Positive rewards and short sessions will do wonders. Try to think of it as desensitization training first.