Cat Eating/Drinking But Lethargic

tqr220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 y/o calico has been very lethargic over the past week which is very concerning because she is normally very full of energy, eager to play, and loves being pet. She recently had a spate of vomiting (once a week for a month) so we brought her in for an emergency vet visit. Her exam was normal and she had a CBC/SuperChem panel done that came back normal as well. She has been eating well still, drinking water, and using the litter box as normal, but she otherwise looks miserable and has no energy. Does anyone have any experience with this? We suspected potentially GI issues but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Kat.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just had a similar issue with my cat. He was very low energy and slept all the time but still ate and went to the litter box. I took him to the vet and he had a fever, and bloodwork indicated a virus. He got worse about five days in, even with treatment, and stopped eating completely but the last few days have been significantly better and he's getting back to his old self. Obviously your issue might be completely different, especially with vomiting that preceded it, but personally I would take him to the vet, it sounds like he's not feeling very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tqr220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I took her to the vet Tuesday 3/15 and she didn’t have a fever and blood work/Chem panel came back normal. I have a follow appointment scheduled for a few weeks from now if she hasn’t improved.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she tested for pancreatitis? It’s not a standard part of the blood testing. It often gets overlooked. But lethargy following chronic vomiting sounds an awful lot like pancreatitis. I would check the bill or call the vet and ask if Spec fPLI test (or the pancreatitis test) was run. If not, I’d ask if that can be done sooner than a few weeks from now.

If you can’t get her in any sooner, there might be some tips here that you could try to see if she improves. I’d look to digestive enzymes like Optagest and splitting her meals into smaller meals more often making the per meal load on her pancreas smaller. Neither of these will be harmful if pancreatitis is the wrong diagnosis here.

Pancreatitis – IBDKitties

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 y/o calico has been very lethargic over the past week which is very concerning because she is normally very full of energy, eager to play, and loves being pet. She recently had a spate of vomiting (once a week for a month) so we brought her in for an emergency vet visit. Her exam was normal and she had a CBC/SuperChem panel done that came back normal as well. She has been eating well still, drinking water, and using the litter box as normal, but she otherwise looks miserable and has no energy. Does anyone have any experience with this? We suspected potentially GI issues but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Is she lethargic all day or just morning? If it's just morning she could be lethargic from not eating after so many hours or needs many small meals a day