Cat eating behavior changed but he’s healthy

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So now that I know Franklin is okay (bloodwork and chest x-rays), I’m curious how you get your cats to eat more? I’ve never had this problem with other cats before. It seems he sleeps like all day long and eats overnight. I don’t typically leave food out but started to because I noticed this behavior change. A little backstory: Franklin has a decreased appetite and stopped eating at his normal times (6am, 12pm, 6pm, 11pm) for the most part. Still eats a little in the morning and at night. I took him to the vet and he’s fine and healthy. I just don’t know what could have caused this behavior change? I’ve only had him for 3 months so he definitely could have just gotten more comfortable? He was a tad underweight at first and gained like 2lbs in 3 months with me. I would love to try and get him back on schedule but it seems like he doesn’t want to. Also he’s really only eating dry food right now when previously he ate wet. Any recommendations would help!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
maybe there is something in this article that will help get him back on scheduled feedings:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've found that if I use different toys and play with our cat the exercise helps stimulate his appetite. Maybe during the daytime when Franklin's sleeping you can try to entice him with a few toys. Here's a TCS article with some great suggestions for toys to get your cat interested in playing: 17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats - TheCatSite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure about his preference for dry food when he was eating wet food before, but I do think that he was making up for lost time when you first got him and he is now in a better place since he has gained some weight and feels more satisfied.
Maybe leave less dry food out and if you feel the need to continue to give him the same amount of food in a day, give him more wet to compensate for a reduction in the dry.

But, I noticed in your other threads that eating dry food seems to be his preference for a while now, and for the time you have had him, you have had to try numerous wet foods without much success. You could try to take some dry food and add a bit of water as a test to see if he would eat it that way. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with continuing down the path of different foods while you let him eat dry. And, if he will eat the dry moistened, all the better.

When you say he is healthy, did the vet rule out any dental issues? I know that was discussed before as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure about his preference for dry food when he was eating wet food before, but I do think that he was making up for lost time when you first got him and he is now in a better place since he has gained some weight and feels more satisfied.
Maybe leave less dry food out and if you feel the need to continue to give him the same amount of food in a day, give him more wet to compensate for a reduction in the dry.

But, I noticed in your other threads that eating dry food seems to be his preference for a while now, and for the time you have had him, you have had to try numerous wet foods without much success. You could try to take some dry food and add a bit of water as a test to see if he would eat it that way. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with continuing down the path of different foods while you let him eat dry. And, if he will eat the dry moistened, all the better.

When you say he is healthy, did the vet rule out any dental issues? I know that was discussed before as well.
Thanks! I just get worried he isn’t drinking enough water but I started leaving more bowls around the house. They checked dental too and his teeth were perfect.