Cat ear swollen after fight

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I typically let my cat outside daily. Yesterday he was in a fight with a stray cat. Today the flap of his ear is swollen and has puss in it, some of which is draining out thru the cut. I'm assuming it's an infection caused by the other cat scratching the inside of the ear. I will take him to the vet tomorrow.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I lightly cleaned it out with a q-tip and the ear is real wet on the inside. I have some Tresaderm from a previous visit. Would that help any or is there anything else I might be able to use?

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The best thing to clean it with would be some cotton wool soaked in warm, salt water and then squeezed until it's just damp. Make sure you dry the inside of the ear out with either tissue or dry cotton wool after cleaning, as fluid can get into the ear and cause a second infection.

Any kind of antibiotic cream, the sort you use on your own cuts or cream you have from your vet, can also be applied.

Depending on how bad the scratches are he might need antibiotics too. Unfortunately cats that have unrestricted out door access do end up getting in a lot of fights. Bites from feral cats can lead to FIV or FeLV, both of which are highly contagious and fatal. I recommend keeping him in or restricting him to a catio if you can. Saves you a fortune it vet's bills in the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet this morning and they will sedate him, shave the hair on his ear , cut open the wound on the inside of his ear and drain and flush a few times until cleaned out. It was swollen fairly good this morning and full of gook and he fussed when I touched it....Vet said it looks like it was actually caused by a bite from the other cat and not claw wound as I thought.

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat was sent home without any instructions for cleaning or not of the wound after abscess removed. Blood on inside of the ear as well. I would like to clean it up but as mentioned zero at home instructions or follow up.
Looks like vet just made a cut to the outside of the ear and drained it. She did give him a long term antibiotic injection.

Attachments

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
10 hours after surgery and cat is obviously in pain. He shakes his head all the time, crying out, and will not let me near him. He has an opening about 1/2" long left unclosed on the top of the ear and I guess for draining. I would've thought they would send him home with some sort of pain medication.
Will give it 24 hours and see if the swelling goes down and hopefully pain subsides.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, they should have given you instructions and pain medicine. That is so irresponsible.
please call them in the morning and get this sorted out.
Did they send him home with an e- collar
( cone) so he doesn’t scratch open the ear?
He looks miserable. I am so sorry. For now, don’t mess with the ear. It will be to painful. If he is really painful you can take him to an emergency hospital, but that would be stressful. If you can wait till morning, it would be best, and ask them about after care instructions and pain meds and when you are to return etc.
Obviously, keep him inside. Poor cat. I feel badly for the little one.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When I've taken cats in with infected bites our vet has done something pretty similar. Shaved the area, made an incision to drain the wound and flushed with saline solution. Was it just an antibiotic injection or was in an anti-inflammatory as well? The anti-inflammatory works as a pain killer, according to our vet.

These kind of injuries can look pretty awful, but it is best to leave them open to allow them to drain and heal. I agree with Silent Meowlook, call your vet and ask them if you need to do anything or whether the cat needs any pain medication.

So sorry you're going through this with him. I know that once cats have a taste of the outdoors it can be really difficult to convince them it's not a good idea to go out, but please try to keep him indoors if you can.

Is it possible for you to make him a catio? Have you thought about harness training?

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was it just an antibiotic injection or was in an anti-inflammatory as well?
It was a long term injection of Convenia Antibiotic.
I tried cleaning wound with warm water gauze pad this morning but he won't let me touch it. It's draining and crusting over from the discharge.
He was not sent home with a collar and is slapping at the wound with his paw, nails were trimmed. He is eating good so I guess I'll just keep a close eye on him.
Will call the vets office later today for any at home instructions.
Thanks to all......

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took back to vet this morning and they gave him Zorbium topical solution on the back of his neck. Apparently it last 4 days. Guess I'll hold my breath and hope for the best. Not the best of reviews.
Instructed to clean around the wound with warm water and gauze.