Cat Ear Cleaning

cat lover12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have one of 3 cats thats been having ear gunk lately.....Nala's ears have never been dirty before, I have checked, but, nothing was there....My dog Lucy used to clean out Nala's ears and Nala loved it...but Lucy(my dog) died a couple of days ago and since then, Nala's ears have gotton a brownish gunk inside.....I wanted to know if I could use a medicine dropper and drop alittle bit of peroxide in her ears? I would think it would do just as good on a cat than it does on people? Thanks! :D

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
If she's having gunk build up a trip to the vet is likely in order. Build-up can be any number of things, including innocent wax or a bacterial infection. Either way, your vet should be able to give you drops or a cleaning solution for you cat.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using peroxide. I worry that it would be too strong since cats have really sensitive ears. There are a number of ear cleaning solutions available at most pet stores. If your vet rules out anything that needs medical treatment, you can try picking up a cat-specific cleaner.

Hope that helps. :)