Cat Dying. Help.

Sungods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, heres a run through of my situation. I have a female cat that is a little over 16 years old. In the past couple of months, she's had a bad problem with throwing up. Now, she's stopped eating pretty much completely. She was drinking a lot of water in the beginning of this, maybe like a week ago but she lost interest in that too. She's lost a lot of weight, however though she isn't wailing, hissing, whimpering, or making any other noises that would imply that she is in pain. She still jumps onto the furniture, walks around, and what not. Her eyes are watering too. My dad doesn't want to take her to the vet because she is old and its very hard to get her to get into the car because she freaks out, and he doesn't want to hurt her if these truly are her last days. I'm not sure if she's pooping, but she did throw up for the first time in a while earlier today.
Also about the food thing, I had gotten a piece of turkey and held it in front of her a couple minutes ago and she ate it vigorously, which was odd since she hadn't been eating anything earlier. I went and came back with more turkey, however she did not take it that time, and I'm not sure why.

Basically, I have no idea whats going on with her and what I should do, nobody in my household does. I want to help her but im not sure how. If she really is dying, should I try getting her to the vet and possibly risk hurting her, or should I just let her pass naturally without knowing whats going on. I'm just hoping shes not dying, and if she is that she isn't in pain.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this, but maybe taking her to the vet and having her put down is the kindest thing you can do for her. Watching her die a slow painful death is the worst thing in the world.
At the very least, get her to the vet and see what they say. They may be able to give her a B12 shot or something. But it sounds to me like her kidneys are impaired.
Honestly, get her to the vet for either help or peace. You don't want her last days to be suffering.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Take her to the vet! Cats can live much longer than 16 years old, she could have something like diabetes or poor kidney or liver function, which are treatable.

Letting her slowly starve to death just because you don't wan't to take her to the vet is inhumane.

Do you have a cat carrier you can put her in? Wrap her in a blanket, pick her up and put her in the carrier then cover the carrier with a towel or something that smells of you. Cats are calmer in a confined area. If she can't see out of the carrier but she is surrounded by smells she recognises she'll be fine in the car.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that she ate a piece of turkey, then didn't the second time could be that her mouth is in pain. She may simply have an abscess that is easily treated with antibiotics. Cats hide their pain so just because she is not whimpering or crying out does not mean she does not hurt in some way. If she starts to cry out or whimpers in pain, that means she is in EXCRUCIATING pain, do not wait until then to do something.
She may hate it, but she needs to be seen by a vet. As I said it could simply be a bad tooth or infection (especially at her age). She could also have developed a kidney problem (which causes loss of appetite) that can be treated and managed. Our cat lived till he was 20 with kidney disease. There are several other things that can be going on that are TREATABLE. Please bring her to a vet. Letting her starve herself to death is not a good way to go, especially if it's from something that could have been treated or cured.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sungods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that she ate a piece of turkey, then didn't the second time could be that her mouth is in pain. She may simply have an abscess that is easily treated with antibiotics. Cats hide their pain so just because she is not whimpering or crying out does not mean she does not hurt in some way. If she starts to cry out or whimpers in pain, that means she is in EXCRUCIATING pain, do not wait until then to do something.
She may hate it, but she needs to be seen by a vet. As I said it could simply be a bad tooth or infection (especially at her age). She could also have developed a kidney problem (which causes loss of appetite) that can be treated and managed. Our cat lived till he was 20 with kidney disease. There are several other things that can be going on that are TREATABLE. Please bring her to a vet. Letting her starve herself to death is not a good way to go, especially if it's from something that could have been treated or cured.
You got it

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and please keep us updated. We all worry here!!!!:heartshape:
Good luck!
:hangin:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that your baby is sick. I agree about taking her to the vet though. I have a cat 12 year old female cat that is also really scared of car rides and also hates being in the carrier. There is a product called Feliway which may help with this situation. I use Feliway wipes to wipe down the carrier before vet trips for my Starbuck. She is much calmer with the carrier and the car ride. My hubby took her to the vet while I was at work one day. She barely made any noise in the car and did not pee on herself. She actually fell asleep in the carrier in the car on the way home. My hubby said she was a totally different cat during the car ride. She normally would scream her head off the entire ride and pee on herself. None of this happened. This was the first time we tried this per recommendation from our vet. Starbuck was abandoned out a car window when she was a 4 week old baby and was never comfortable with being in the car. Perhaps you could look into this product to help her be more at ease with the trip to the vet.

Here is a link to the product I mentioned. There is also a spray available. If you decide to buy it locally the spray may be easier to find. You can try calling pet stores in your area to see if they carry it.

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you find a vet in your area that does house calls? It might cost a bit more, but saving the cat and you some stress is worth the extra expense.