Cat Drooling

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on my cat. He had the cat flu and completed one course of antibiotics which got rid of it but another one of my cats caught it after him and passed it back to him.

He first started with a sneeze, an odd cough and green stuff coming from an eye. So I started him back on antibiotics. The eye has cleared up and there has been no more coughing just the odd sneeze but today he hasn't been himself very quiet not as social as he normally would be and tonight as I went to give him his anti biotic I noticed he was drooling.

He can swallow as I tried him with a treat, the vet is now closed so I'm just looking for any advice to the me over till then.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not one of the members who has experience in this, but have you tried calling up your clinic and listening to the voicemail greeting? Vets often will leave a phone/contact number in the greeting so that people can call after hours and talk to someone.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Blueberries33 Blueberries33 , how are your furbabies doing now? Drooling can be a sign of so many things, including when they are happy, so it's really hard to know what's up with the one that got sick again. Did you discuss it with your Vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blueberries33 Blueberries33 , how are your furbabies doing now? Drooling can be a sign of so many things, including when they are happy, so it's really hard to know what's up with the one that got sick again. Did you discuss it with your Vet?

Furballsmom, there is only one place close to where I live that does after hours and it would have cost me over €350 just be seen excluding any treatment that would have been required. I don't have that sort of money at hand.

Mrsgreenjeens, I brought him to the vet the day after posting this. He had a temperature and abcess my vet gave him a strpng dose of anitbiotics by injection and anti biotics have been extended for a further 3 days.
The drooling has stopped. Still sneezing quite a bit but his appetite and fluid intake has greatly improved thank God. Thank you.

If he's no better in two days time I'll be bringing him back up. I'll keep you updated.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well guys the drooling hasn't returned but he's still sneezing and his sticky eye has returned. I was recommended 12 more days of antibiotics then if the symptoms return to have some bloods done for feline leukaemia.

I have him on the antibiotics but I can't wait 12 days for the bloods so i have him booked in first thing tomorrow morning. With another vet for a second opinion.

Has anyone any experience with this?
If he has got it, does this mean my other two will definitely have it?
He was vaccinated for Fiv with his first year booster.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, don't panic. Hopefully he does not have FeLV. You had him inoculated, so there is no reason to think he has it. But if it turns out he does, there is no reason to think the other two will get it. You had them inoculated too, right? That, of course, is your first line of defense, but isn't 100% foolproof either.

Here is an article that discuss it, but, again,don't start to panic until you actually know what you are dealing with: Feline Leukemia Virus (felv)

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the advice and stuff. Kevin and Chloe had bloods done and both been given the all clear.

Kevin is currently still on antibiotics until Tuesday once he is 100% healthy all of them will be getting vaccinated against it.

Although house cats, would you say it would be best to get them the booster as a precaution in case they should ever get out?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ask ten people about the boosters, and you might get ten different answers. I, personally, get the first round of shots as kittens, then that's it, except for rabies, which are required here if you take your animals to the groomers, which we do. But we try to be very careful, and that not only means our cats never go outside, but also that we know who comes INSIDE and whether or not their cats go outside!

If you don't want to do annual or three year vaccinations, you can always ask for a titer test to see whether or not your little furry charges have built up an immunity to whatever vaccine it is you are thinking about giving. Many times the initial vaccine is enough to last them a lifetime.

Here is a thread that discussing vaccines a little bit: Yearly Vaccinations