Cat Drooling From Chemical Burn Help!

goldie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

On Monday morning my cat ran into our room freaking out rubbing his face/mouth and growling and I realized that he got into the spare bathroom where my hubby had poured drain cleaner and probably licked it. I went to the vet and spent $500 for them to give him an injection of antibiotics and pain meds which I have been giving him but he has been drooling this pink gel like drool and eating is still extremely hard for him. I can't stop worrying about him and my vet is taking forever to call me back!!! Has anyone had this problem? How long does it typically take to get better?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know about this, what usually happens, or how long it takes. I would get him back in for another check. That just does not sound right, drooling pink gel. I would want another check up, do they think he has internal damage from the cleaner? I would guess he does? Have they given you any indication on recovery, or what to expect?
I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers! Do keep us updated, i will worry a lot about him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I didn’t want to have to take him back in just for them to charge me another 60 bucks to see him plus cost of meds. I gave him his other med today (the one he gets every other day, an anti inflammatory) and his drooling seems to be a lot better. He even tried cleaning his face which he has not been doing at all since this happened. I’m so frustrated with the vet office .. I just spent over 500 there and they won’t even have a vet call me back to consult me. I’m also nine months pregnant and don’t have the energy or time to be tending to all this stuff! I’ll see how he does tonight and if he’s still drooling tomorrow I’ll call the clinic again and raise hell to talk to a doctor.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so very much for taking thetime for an update!! :redheartpump:

I’ll see how he does tonight and if he’s still drooling tomorrow I’ll call the clinic again and raise hell to talk to a doctor.
Hang in there!! --congrats by the way :mommy:

his drooling seems to be a lot better. He even tried cleaning his face which he has not been doing at all since this happened.
Thank goodness!! :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldie84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. I hope he gets better soon. I don't do well when my furbabies are sick. I'm willing to pay any price for them but I often feel like places take advantage of pet owners!