Cat Door Question - Kind of Behavior Related

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a cat door that we installed when we first bought our house.  And they are pretty rough on it.  If they really wanted in they would just push the door and the tabs that kept it closed would pop off and they'd come in. (We lock them downstairs in the basement because otherwise they keep us up at night with playing and whatnot) Well we reinforced them, and reinforced the door. Which has worked. But now they are just breaking the door itself, and we had to get a new one. Most of them we are finding will probably not last long.  Does anyone have any idea on how to reinforce the doors so it's kind of cat proof?  I had thought about getting a pet door for dogs but they are rather big and most of them are expensive.  Anyone have the same problem we have? If so how did you solve it?

Here are the pictures of the cat door I purchased. If anyone has any ideas on how to reinforce the cat door and the latch that opens/locks it please let me know! ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my opinion, they're bored being locked up in the basement. Do they have toys, cat trees, etc. to keep them busy? Cats are most active at night and I don't blame them for wanting to get out and explore the rest of the house. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a cat tree which is in front of a window so they can see outside. There are cat toys, a lighted ball down there too.  Not sure what else to put down there for them.