Cat Door Dashes, Would Walks Help Or Make Worse?

Bauer25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I got my kitty last June and she is amazing, super friendly and brave. She used to be an outdoor/indoor cat before I got her and would regularly be gone for a couple days exploring, because she is super friendly and anyone can go up to her she was taken into the humane society 6 times in 2 years.

She is no longer an outdoor/indoor cat, only indoor since I got her, for medical and safety reasons. but I think she misses it and would absolutely love to go on leashed walks, my only concern in door dashing. She already does dash sometimes, now that the weather is getting better it has been more frequent. she hangs around the door and has run out and been grabbed quickly by family members and put back in the house.

So basically, has anyone had success or fails with cats going for walks that already door dashed, did it make it worse, better or stay the same?

If i do walk her I will make sure that anytime i take her out to go through the garage door and carry her through it, so she doesnt associate it with the front door. but they are close together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bauer25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I can't so much address the walking concept, but here is a TCS article about door dashing that might help.

Search Results for Query: cat darting the door | TheCatSite

Also, I don't what your living arrangements are, but is it possible to buy/build a catio for her? There are tons of options. Here is just one example of thousands.

Yes I have been reading a bunch about door dashing, but thanks for linking the article.

I want to build a catio so bad! I know she will love one, but unfortunately the house I'm in is a more modern design and is mostly very large windows with sliding doors, the only window that would possibly work is my bedroom and I don't think my family would want one in the front of the house because it would ruin the look and block light from the underground window :/

Jwa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had an indoor and outdoor cat. Only indoor. But I know my little Spencer tries to get out especially into the garage he’s fascinated when the door opens. He’s only seven months so hopefully he’ll chill out. Anyway though I would think taking her for a walk might make it worse? She will probably want to be out much more then... I don’t know for sure but my friends that have cats that are indoor and outdoor those cats want to be outdoors whenever they feel like it. I would say if you want to completely indoors I would keep her inside all the time. Hopefully well eventually she will just get used to it

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have a door dasher ..... that apparently I have not been training him to stop. He dashed when I open the door? I squat to block/pick him up inside the apartment to greet him. He dashed out the sliding glass door? I toss him in the very large bathroom when I have to go outside for a few minutes (he gets daily walks or harness time where he is tied up to a chair right inside the sliding glass door and gets 26 feet to play with. )

I have started stomping my feet when I enter my apartment. Also the best thing you can do if your cat gets outside is calmly walk after them, calling them and maybe shaking a treat container. Sadly my twerp has gotten out at least 10 times but he lets me catch him every time because I just hold him and cuddle him as I take him inside. If I yelled at him or was angry or ran after him, he wouldn’t let me catch him.

:goodluck:

Bauer25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I have a door dasher ..... that apparently I have not been training him to stop. He dashed when I open the door? I squat to block/pick him up inside the apartment to greet him. He dashed out the sliding glass door? I toss him in the very large bathroom when I have to go outside for a few minutes (he gets daily walks or harness time where he is tied up to a chair right inside the sliding glass door and gets 26 feet to play with. )

I have started stomping my feet when I enter my apartment. Also the best thing you can do if your cat gets outside is calmly walk after them, calling them and maybe shaking a treat container. Sadly my twerp has gotten out at least 10 times but he lets me catch him every time because I just hold him and cuddle him as I take him inside. If I yelled at him or was angry or ran after him, he wouldn’t let me catch him.

:goodluck:
Did your boy door dash before you guys started on walks and harness time? or have you guys always done walks and harness time and the dashing just started?

Bauer25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve never had an indoor and outdoor cat. Only indoor. But I know my little Spencer tries to get out especially into the garage he’s fascinated when the door opens. He’s only seven months so hopefully he’ll chill out. Anyway though I would think taking her for a walk might make it worse? She will probably want to be out much more then... I don’t know for sure but my friends that have cats that are indoor and outdoor those cats want to be outdoors whenever they feel like it. I would say if you want to completely indoors I would keep her inside all the time. Hopefully well eventually she will just get used to it
I have never had an indoor outdoor cat either, before I adopted her thats what she was so she was used to being able to come and go as she wished, which she is now wanting to still have since she misses the outdoors. she has only ever been an indoor cat with me.
I was thinking it would make it worse as well, but kept seeing so much about how regular walks would satisfy the want for outdoor exercise time and make the cat happier, but am still skeptical, hence why I am here asking for the personal experiences of others, Thanks for your response! I try to give her enough exercise and such inside to keep her happy but she tires physically quickly from her medication but not mentally :/ which makes it harder

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had always been a door dasher. He is 7 months old and got his first small taste of outside harness time at 4 months. I’m working on him learning when he goes outside (everyday in the evening) and training him to not rush the door when I open it (I stomp my feet and he gets a treat if he doesn’t rush the door and just sits patiently.) He will learn but he is still a teen and testing the boundaries.

I think if you give yourself a set time everyday (understanding that cats do not do daylights saving) your cat will learn her schedule. A catio would be ideal but I’m not allowed to build onto my apartment building.