Cat doing her business on the Floor...Help!!

feline68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Folks,
I have a female red haired 11 year old Cat who more often than not defecates on the kitchen floor; she prefers that to the litter Box, which is in a quiet location away from food & water etc. I also have a younger female black & white, and they keep their distance from each other.

Any ideas about this would be really appreciated, thanks!
Rob

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rob,

I would like to know more about your situation.

Have you ruled out medical causes by taking in a fecal sample or having kitty examined?
How many litter boxes do you have?
What type of litter?
What depth of litter?
How often do you scoop the litter?
Does she urinate in the litter box?
Does she cover her business when she does use the litter box?
How often does she use the floor, how often does she use the litter box?
Do the cats get along?

PaT

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also suggest taking her to the vet for an exam & bloodwork. At 11 years of age she is very much a senior. There are many things that can cause her to go outside the litterbox - health issues such as kidney problems, UTIs, etc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feline68

I also have a younger female black & white, and they keep their distance from each other.
Did the pooping problem start before or after you got the younger cat? How many litter boxes do you have?

Get her to the vet, as suggested.
But also take into consideration that since the two do not really get along you need to compensate for that. Depending on home size have 3-5 litter boxes so they don't have to share if they don't want to. Someone over there can hopefully direct you to a site that sells feliway, if you can get the feliway diffusers going it may help with the two cats.