Cat Doesn't Want To Eat Vet Food Diet

Paisley3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
My cat Paisley has recently been put on a wet veterinary diet for stage 2 kidney failure. She is on something called senior consult by royal canin, and she will not eat it. She hasn't really eaten anything in two days, and my vet hasn't really offered a helpful solution. From the reading I've done online it seems this type of food is pretty bland and on top of that cats in kidney failure tend to have less of an appetite. On top of all of this, Paisley has stomatitis.. which she will not get surgery for until the end of October, which also effects her ability to eat/to want to eat... but she can't just not eat for two months until that's sorted out. Does anybody have any ideas of what to do to make her food more appetizing? She's on low protein so I have to be careful with what I give her. I think I'll try chicken or tuna flakes mixed in to see if that makes any difference.

I just want to mention that other than not wanting to eat, Paisley is perfectly fine. Her behaviour is still normal and she's happy and cuddly.. she just doesn't want to eat.

Thanks in advance!
Amber

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried gradually transitioning her from her old food to the Rx diet? Mix in a little bit of the new food into the old food, and gradually increase the new food and decrease the old food over the course of seven days. If that doesn't work, you can ask your vet about the Hills K/D. That's the food the vet perscribed for my Charlie, and he gobbles it up. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paisley3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I did not mix them.. she's been on a variety of different foods up until now. Previously she was on high fiber vet food because she has issues with constipation, but she wasn't eating that and my vet said it's better to eat her regular food than nothing, so she was eating whiskas cuts in gravy. I tried mixing those two before and she wanted nothing to do with it. I gave her her regular old food last night and again this morning and she's hardly touched that either. Because of her teeth she has always just picked at her food so it's not all that surprising.

Thank you for the suggestion.. I will look into that :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise