Cat Doesn't Want To Be Brushed - Any Ideas?

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our newest additions, Sam, is a Maine Coon. 

His previous owner kept him in a "lion cut", which I don't care for how it looks.  I really want to have him his full, gorgeous coat of fur.  His coat is growing back out, and I really want to keep it maintained.

The problem is this:  Sam doesn't like to be brushed.

He will tolerate a soft-bristle brush - loves it on his face, in fact.  It's brushing out his body and tail that is proving problematic.  He won't hold still long enough, and when I scruff him to get him to hold still his mood gets ugly. 

Sam hates the regular slicker brush.  Barely tolerates the slicker brush that has those little protective ends.  Haven't tried the comb on him yet...

I've tried a reward system with treats and catnip for letting me brush him.  Fail.  I've tried distracting him with a toy or another brush while brushing him.  Another fail.  The only thing I can come up with left to try is to wear him out with a play session (like chasing the laser pointer), then try when he is tired.

Had him professionally groomed earlier this week, so his fur is in good condition. The groomer had no problems with him, but taking him in regularly is not an option for us financially. He has no skin problems.  I'm guessing he never really was exposed to regular brushing before coming into our home (he's 7 years old).

The absolute last resort is keeping him shaved down.  Which I'd like to try and avoid if possible.  I can't figure out if there is a way I can get him to at least tolerate being brushed.  Help!  And thanks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shave him down and start over, he likely hates grooming because it wasn't done often enough and would hurt. Is he an actual Maine Coon or a long hair domestic?

MC's can have a greasy coat and can require bathing on occasion, but the coat is relatively low maintenance.

Long haired cats need to be combed, not brushed or with a slicker.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
Shave him down and start over, he likely hates grooming because it wasn't done often enough and would hurt. Is he an actual Maine Coon or a long hair domestic?

MC's can have a greasy coat and can require bathing on occasion, but the coat is relatively low maintenance.

Long haired cats need to be combed, not brushed or with a slicker.
Sam is currently growing out of a "lion cut", and his shaved fur is less than half an inch long.  And yes, he is an actual Maine Coon.

I'm going to try with the comb tomorrow, to see how he will tolerated it.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A book that I read, written by Anitra Frazier, a well reknowned cat groomer, basically said the same thing as missymotus. A wide toothed comb should be used first, lightly only at first, and then harder when the cat becomes used to it. A shedding comb can be used afterwards to get rid of excess fur, and a tiny slicker brush can be used but ONLY for between the ears and on cheeks, chin and throat.

Try picking him up and placing him on a table, and get him started on a petting session so that he is good and happy. Then lightly stroke the comb over him, just barely touching the fur, and following with your other hand stroking him. Then the outer half of the fur, then all the way down to the skin. This may have to be broken up over several sessions.

Good luck! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
A book that I read, written by Anitra Frazier, a well reknowned cat groomer, basically said the same thing as missymotus. A wide toothed comb should be used first, lightly only at first, and then harder when the cat becomes used to it. A shedding comb can be used afterwards to get rid of excess fur, and a tiny slicker brush can be used but ONLY for between the ears and on cheeks, chin and throat.
Try picking him up and placing him on a table, and get him started on a petting session so that he is good and happy. Then lightly stroke the comb over him, just barely touching the fur, and following with your other hand stroking him. Then the outer half of the fur, then all the way down to the skin. This may have to be broken up over several sessions.
Good luck!
We've never owned a long haired cat before, so it's a different experience for us as compared to brushing out our short haired furbabies. 

Sam doesn't seem to mind the comb.  I'll have to find a shedding comb next time I go to the pet store.  Thanks for the info. :-)

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Minka. I have one cat who doesn't like to be brushed very long. If I alternate a brush stroke with a stroke of my hand he starts purring. I also have to break it up into a couple sessions.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brushes will do no good with a long-haired cat once his coat grows in.  They do little in my view for shorthair cats either, unless the cat enjoys being brushed.

I did have a s/h cat that almost matter who couldn't bear being combed, but the slicker was fine and worked on his coat - fairly short and dense.

Agree with Minka you need to get him used to being combed, and maybe have another Lion cut if he's not OK with being combed by the time he actually needs it.  If being combed hurts him then he will never, ever like it.