Cat doesnt remember me

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to move and my cat couldn't come right away so I found a foster for her. She was there for 4 months and on November 1 I picked her up. I was worried how she'd react but I must say I'm pretty disappointed. She didn't remember me 😔 I kept reading that cats have a good memory so this came as a surprise. I've had my cat for 3 years so it's pretty sad how she's acting.

The past 3 days she acts like we're complete strangers. She goes from being lovable to suddenly hissing. She's never hissed at me before. She's being extremely bad at night and won't let me sleep much. I'm so down. I was hoping she would have been happy to see me. Will she take a long time to go back to her old self?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Between your new place and being away from her, I am sure you picked up some new scents that she is reacting to as well as the stress that comes from having her life disrupted and being in a new place. Just give her some time, let her adjust at her own pace and she should come around. I would lay out some used clothing like your pj’s for her to sniff. Those probably smell more like you that outerwear.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would lay out some used clothing like your pj’s for her to sniff.
This is a great thought. Cats operate on smell so if there's any clothing that you've worn but not washed since your cat went to the foster, that could help a lot. Maybe there's something wool, like an old sweater, or some gloves or a hat? Even an old pillow might help!

We've had some non-recognition aggression among our two cats and that's all scent-based. I'm not sure if this would work between a human and a cat but we did a lot of scent swapping: rubbing towels on both cats, back and forth, and leaving the towels near where the cats were sleeping. It's hard to be absolutely sure it helped, though I'm pretty sure it did, based on how much the cats sniffed them. I'd try doing that back and forth between myself and the cat if my cat didn't recognize me.

All that said, what the others have mentioned about stress -- in general -- makes a lot of sense to me, too, particularly since the new place smells very different from what she's used to and associates with you. Maybe some of her old toys and bedding would help with that?

I hope this passes soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may also be a little miffed at being left. She will get over it, just give her some time. Cats are not ones for holding grudges, but your girl has gone through several major changes in a short period of time. She's in her SECOND new place in a short period, and that's rough on cats, even if you had been there the whole time. She'll come around once she's certain of her territory, and of you not disappearing again.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with all the posts pointing to stress. Phoebe kept her back turned and hissed over her shoulder at me when I collected her and Daisy from a cattery when we moved here. We’d only been separated about three weeks. She’s never hissed at me before or since. The cattery was a tiny backyard place and all the cats were in cages far too close to each other - way to ramp up their stress levels.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Studies show cats remember their people. Give her time, the bond will be re-established. She just needs to learn to trust her surroundings and know you’re still there to keep her safe, feed and warm.

Build a routine. Set feeding times. No free feeding. Establish yourself as the Keeper Of Tinned Mice. It won’t be long before your cat remembers you’re the source of All Good Things. Play with her at least once a day. Right before breakfast is a good time.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, like others said, give it time.

I had a cat treated with I-131 recently and part of the quarantine is to pretty much keep my distance for a week. That was heartbreaking for both me and cat. But by end of the week, the cat pretty much adapted to not bonding everytime he saw me like always. After the quarantine was over and I was able to love on him like always, now he's back to his usual snuggly self. I take him to the vet in a couple of days for a quick blood draw. He'll feel scared again when I have to put him the carrier and he'll run and hide right after. But once he's comfortable, he'll be back to normal.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she doing with you now a few weeks later?

I don’t think she ever forgot you. Got moody with you for some reason that makes sense to the feline brain, but that doesn’t mean she forgot you.