cat doesnt purr

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
odd topic
i have a 1.5 year old boy cat. he doesnt purr, knead or rub against my legs. my other cat same age, does all that. cat 1, shows affectionate in different ways like standing up when im reaching down to pet him, he trill talks and follows me to the bathroom. so he is affectionate, just in a different way. i just find it weird and curious who else has a cat that doesnt purr either

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that rarely every purred, but he adored me and followed me everywhere, as well as cuddled pretty much all the time. It turned out that he purred when he was being petted incredibly roughly and that was about it, but it didn't mean he was unhappy.

As a child, we had a cat that we thought never purred. It turned out she did, only it was so quiet that we'd have to press our ears against against her to hear it. It turned out she purred all the time and we simply didn't know. So give that a try; maybe he just purrs very quietly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that rarely every purred, but he adored me and followed me everywhere, as well as cuddled pretty much all the time. It turned out that he purred when he was being petted incredibly roughly and that was about it, but it didn't mean he was unhappy.

As a child, we had a cat that we thought never purred. It turned out she did, only it was so quiet that we'd have to press our ears against against her to hear it. It turned out she purred all the time and we simply didn't know. So give that a try; maybe he just purrs very quietly!
i have put my fingers over his throat and feel nothing. hes an odd kitty and i know he loves me:hearthrob:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl never purred or meowed until she was 10 years old...now, she will vibrate me off the bed purring, and has no concept of "indoor voice"...and she puts out a powerful piece of conversation. Just relax and enjoy him for the unique personality that he his! So long as he loves you, all is well!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty normal. I think all my cats have purred to some extent, but some you really need to lay your ear on them at the right time and listen because its *soft*.

You might be able to teach your cat to purr using something that vibrates as an example. You know, if you just happen to have something that vibrates handy. Like a massager...what did you think I meant???

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats that I didn’t think purred but it turned out they did but I just couldn’t hear it. If I pet them and held a finger by their neck I could feel the vibration. On the other side of spectrum, Lola has a purr so loud I can hear her across the room.