Cat Doesn't Like Petting. Am I Doing Something Wrong?

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I got a lovely Egyptian Mau a month ago (my first cat) . She is around 6 months old and she warmed up to all of the family very quickly. She loves being around us and loves bunting us when she sees us in the morning or after a long time.

But she doesn't like to be petted at all, which I think is rare for a cat? Whenever I try, she just walks away after a few strokes and sits a little distance away. Sometimes she'll be in a very good mood, bunting me and purring, and even arching her back and standing with her tail next to me (which I think means she enjoys my touch). But when I pet her she'll just walk away. She never purrs when I am petting her.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried different spots (head,neck,face,base of tail etc.) and different ways (front, back of the hand). I try to only do it when she's in a good mood i.e. when she comes to me or when she's lying strecthed on her back (She never really comes and sits in our lap but likes to be in the same room). But to no success.

Any suggestions are welcome, because I really enjoy petting her and want her to enjoy it as well.

Thanks.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
?Maybe? Some cats only like their chin or ears petted. Have you tried a one finger pet? Do you let her guide your hand to where she wants to be petted? One of my cats loves being near me or on me but is not so much for the petting. so I love him back how he wants it (with tons of play & tons of time where he is laying on my lap without me petting him.)
How to pet your cat, Jackson Galaxy explains it :

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried the chin and ears as well, and one finger as well I think. I tried to let her guide my hand to no avail. I thought she might be guiding it towards the base of the tail but that area didnt work either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one finger method in the video I haven't tried yet. Will do it today. Thanks :)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Well, unfortunately, some cats just don't want to be petted, and you might have to learn to appreciate her need for own personal space. I have a two year old ragdoll, Dudley, who loves to be right beside me all the time, and although he can cope with a quick ear, tummy, paw, and tail tickle, he'll invariably get up and move away if I continue for more than a few strokes. I have learnt what his limit is and stop just before he reaches it as I don't really wish to disturb him to the point that he has to get up. There was a recent article on cat petting on this site:

Do Cats Like To Be Petted?

I have another ragdoll, Parker, who is a total lush and will happily be petted all day long. It's kind of just as well that Dudley sits to my side as Parker sits on top of me, and is always nosing up for a fuss.

Swings and roundabouts.

:petcat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are just not big on the petting. Our family has three cats with three different petting guidelines. Nightfury is as much as you can, as often as you can and wherever you want. Rocket is sometimes she really wants to be pet and will demand it, other times she won't. But she tends to tolerate it most of the time. Link. Oh my Link, he is only on his terms and only when he decides. You hold out a hand to him and he may pet you by rubbing against the hand. If he does you may pet above his collar until he walks away, sometimes.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try a late night pet. One of my guys is hot-and-cold about being pet. He will do what your guy does - have a pet or two and then move away and sit or lay down. Sometimes he will walk back and forth next to me for "drive by" pets. At night though, he is very receptive to being pet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most females, as they get older, are not lovey. I have only had one female out of twenty that likes to be petted/cuddled. A neutered male is usually the most friendly. Both sexes of kittens are usually cuddly and want attention, it is around that 5-6 month mark the females stay their distance. Females don't as a rule get along with other females either, and want to discipline the boys with hisses and slaps, they rule the roost! It doesn't mean she doesn't love you, that's just the way they are!My husband is always telling our cats..."I'm going to get a new kitten!" When they won't let him pet them.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, gentle nose rubbing, hard to resist! I'm pleased that you're getting somewhere. It will take time and patience but you never know she might be a lovebug just bursting to get out.

:catlove:

Dudley likes to grab my hand and hold it between his paws without my moving. He also loves my resting my arm on his tummy or hand on his back. Sometimes I get up to ten mins actual head strokes and the quietest purr imaginable. But mostly he just wants to be right there beside me, my loyal guardian, unfussed.

:whiskers:

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience growing up after my girl tortie hit a few years old, she became more picky about petting, and it wasn't until she got old that she became more cuddly. Like everyone else said it's not for a lack of love on her part, just changing taste.