Cat Doesn’t Like Meat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a rather bizarre carnivore in my home. He would much rather eat peas and carrots over chicken or beef or even fish (he really hates seafood). The issue on this is he now at age 9 has a uti and keeping him hydrated is becoming a bit of an issue and he’s getting the start of fatty liver disease from starvation. The only thing I have found thus far that can tempt him to eat is the garden meledy from fancy feast.

But even with that he only really wants to pick out the veggies and leave the chicken. I’m rather at a loss on how to convince him he is a CARNIVORE, not a vegan. But in the mean time he’s in desperate need of protein, anyone know of any veggies that are cat safe and high in protein? ... question I never once thought I would be asking in my life time, but seriously the cat can not be tempted to eat meat, I’ve tryed canned, poached, baked, even fried, and raw and he scorns it all.

And yes in true vegan fashion he doesn’t like eggs either , or cheese, though he will nosh on the odd muffin if you don’t watch them around him.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, vegetables don't have a lot of protein. Pet food companies use peas and potatoes, but I'm not sure if the protein comes from a process.

Have you tried canned food that have vegetables in them but are not easy to pick out? We have fed Lotus brand pates - I think they are all "... and vegetable". Our cat Gohan enjoys some nice asparagus on occasion, and he really liked the Lotus pates (and no other cat food). Almo Nature has some with green beans and other flavors.

There are also Applaws Chicken and Asparagus pouches, but they are not a complete food. At least he would get calories.

Have you tried blending some cat food with vegetables?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Which brands of food have you tried? He might like Nature's Variety cans or Primal frozen/freeze dried. Both have lots of veggie supplements but are also high in animal meat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat and A Azazel already offered some good options. I might also suggest certain Halo foods -- I remember some sort of Spot's Stew food having a lot of vegetables.

Another thought might be to try mixing some pumpkin into a food. Not too much since it can affect digestion/stool, but enough to entice the cat. It has a fairly distinctive smell. Weruva and Soulistic both sell little packets of pure pumpkin puree.

Come to think of it, both Weruva and Soulistic also have some foods with pumpkin in them: they're a little carby but I feed them to our cats every now and then because they like them.

Good luck! This sounds like a difficult case!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Against the Grain also makes a chicken and pumpkin canned food. It's shredded chicken with little bits of pumpkin throughout and a nice soupy broth. They do a chicken and turnip, too, though I haven't tried that one but I bet it's along the same lines.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually quite alarming how many brands of cat food are loaded with veggies and grains. :nervous:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the larger issue for me is if he can’t see the veggies, and really get their distinctive scent and flavor he turns his nose up at the whole thing, and since cats are carnivores, most companies “hide” the veggies

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the larger issue for me is if he can’t see the veggies, and really get their distinctive scent and flavor he turns his nose up at the whole thing, and since cats are carnivores, most companies “hide” the veggies
Definitely try Halo then! I seem to remember chunks of zucchini... though that was back in 2013!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, natures variety pates have veggie pieces too.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The natural balance platefuls have actual vegetables that you can see. My cats love them. I and love and you pates have veggies too. Natures variety pride the flaked and minced varieties ( rockstar rabbit, diva duck, champ chicken) have veggies as well in a broth. Mine like those as well. Worth a try. That is bizarre though.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats are funny, especially with texture. My guys like shreds of real meat, such as tiki cat, almo nautre, earthborn holistics, weruva, those kinds of shreds.

They will not eat the shreds in any cat food that is preformed, such as friskies or blue bufalo, or wellness, i think its the texture, not the food itself. They will eat some of the small minced foods. such as nutro minced chicken and the sliced turkey, and almost all pet stores carry Royal canin thin sliced wet foods, some may say its not got great ingredients, but most all cats will eat Royal canin thin sliced foods, the adult thin sliced or the intense beauty tempts most cats that i know. It is the canned food i turn to when my guys will eat nothing else. something about it always gets them going.

Royal canin also has a pate you can try if your guy likes pate. some say their cats are nuts for fancy feast classics too.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I’m so sorry I can see why this is so difficult and stressful on you. :confused:
I’m far from the nutrition expert, but I’m just thinking outside the box:
- what about soy protein? When my grandmother was ill and would eat I would go to all the stores to find things to mix in a shake for nutrition, and I remember all the protein packed items available! GNC and other stores sell so many things for athletes to pack on proteins, maybe you could mix a protein based powder in a veggie food? I’m not exactly sure what is safe or not, but if you discover he likes it, then we could all research the best one to use permanently.

-Does he like milky or creamy tasting things? You could mix some goats milk in unflavored Greek yogurt for some protein! Maybe add a little egg etc?

-I’m not sure about tofu being safe for cats, (but at this point it sounds better than nothing!) and maybe you could use that too?

-could you buy a vegetable concentrate soup base or flavor to mix in the meat foods? Whatever his favorite veggies are, the strongest flavors could cover the meat taste! If the flavor was mixed throughout and permeated the meats maybe that would work?

- check vegan cat food boards online. The vast majority of us don’t believe in vegan food, but your case is different. You aren’t forcing your beliefs on your cat and affecting her health, you’re just trying to keep him healthy! I’m not sure what they feed, but you might find an idea or two that you can add to your cupboard.

It sounds like you may need to get a little here and a little there, but I would worry more about just getting her some protein right now, and then about long term feeding and health ramifications afterwards. All the best and keep us updated!!:goodluck:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try giving him some KMR? It's not vegetable but neither is it meat? Maybe mix it with goat's milk instead of water for even more fat and protein.The KMR would also provide the supplements cats require.

Last edited:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know someone who has a cat who is vegan. Maybe we're all thought wrong? lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a look here: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets Some canned foods do have pretty prominent veggies.

If your cat will eat the FF Garden Medley, then just feed him that. At least he's getting some meat and nutrition from that. There are likely other similar foods to that you can look for and try.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah for now definitely sticking with the ff, he’s enjoying it and getting some of the chicken so for now that will have to suffice, he goes back to the vet Monday might ask her for some suggestions.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah for now definitely sticking with the ff, he’s enjoying it and getting some of the chicken so for now that will have to suffice, he goes back to the vet Monday might ask her for some suggestions.
How did your appointment go?

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it seems suggestions would not have worked, turned out that snowcap had a massive tumor that ruptured leading to massive anemia and liver failure. He lost his fight this morning. He was a very sweet boy and highly unusual cat with a love for all things sweet including his foods. He will always be missed and remembered especially for his vegetarian ways and massive sweet tooth that no cat supposedly has.

I mean seriously you couldn’t spill sugar with him anywhere nearby cuz he would lick it up, but drop a piece of meat on the floor and he’d run away. He never hunted other than crab grass and would more often then not come out the loser in his epic fights with the grass.

He didn’t deserve to get cancer as such a sweetheart, but more than anything at least he was spared long term suffering from it that is all of which I can be thankful for right now.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Though I should say for anyone else with a vegan carnivore the vet did suggest adding a bit of honey to his food, when we thought it was still just a uti and start of fatty liver.

Status
Not open for further replies.