Cat Doesnt Like Litter...any Of It.

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short we rescued a cat, male, 1 yr old that was already litterbox trained. Perfect cat!!! Except he defecates on the outside of the box. We have tried every form of litter, tried crate training-he eventually just went into the crate and pooped on the floor. We have set multiple boxes out throughout the house in case it is the location. Aluminum foil over the spots he prefers to do his business on the floor.
Tried a box with just a few pellets of litter in one end and nothing in the other- he pooped in the end without the litter.yayyy...but that means he doesnt like litter. NOW WHAT?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had him in to the vet?

What if you let him use empty boxes, and gradually reintroduce pellets? Would he accept puppy pee pads in litterboxes?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting a couple of sheets of old newspaper on the floor. My mother had a cat that would only use newspapers. Cheap and easy to roll up and throw away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took a stool sample to the vet and it was clear. We did try puppy pads next to the box and he scratches them away or poops on the edge of them. Last night he actually went in a box- one end had a few newspaper pellets and he peed there, the other side had nothing and he pooped there. Then he went outside the box once. But i think we are on to something....

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ugh... still pooping in the floor. HELP! My husband is going to take him back!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you contain him in one room, with a number of litterboxes - empty or with a few pellets, and keep him in there until he is using them consistently?

What about a little unfertilized potting soil?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One other suggestion - buy the largest litterbox you can find or even use a plastic storage bin. Some cats just want space.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We took a stool sample to the vet and it was clear. We did try puppy pads next to the box and he scratches them away or poops on the edge of them. Last night he actually went in a box- one end had a few newspaper pellets and he peed there, the other side had nothing and he pooped there. Then he went outside the box once. But i think we are on to something....
Ok so he peed on the pellets and pooped on the empty side. Can you set up multiple boxes and leave one of them empty? Does he squat super low when he poops or something? Maybe the litter sticks to his butt and it bothers him. If he'll go to the bathroom in an empty box that's promising. Are you cleaning the boxes quickly after he goes? Some cats won't use a litterbox if it has anything at all in it. Maybe try bringing in leaves and twigs and stuff for a touch of the outdoors in his litterbox. Some cats like to smell nature while they go.

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One other suggestion - buy the largest litterbox you can find or even use a plastic storage bin. Some cats just want space.
You may be on to something. He has gone in the empty side of the cardboard box lid a few times now. Still on the floor too but we are going to get a hige litterbox and see. Thank u!

Greenboatgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short we rescued a cat, male, 1 yr old that was already litterbox trained. Perfect cat!!! Except he defecates on the outside of the box. We have tried every form of litter, tried crate training-he eventually just went into the crate and pooped on the floor. We have set multiple boxes out throughout the house in case it is the location. Aluminum foil over the spots he prefers to do his business on the floor.
Tried a box with just a few pellets of litter in one end and nothing in the other- he pooped in the end without the litter.yayyy...but that means he doesnt like litter. NOW WHAT?
UPDATE! the last two days he has gone in the boxes with nothing in it- we set out the heavy duty cardboard box lids. I threw a hand full of litter over the pee and have been taking the poop out as soon as i notice it. Also lots and lots of praise! If we can manage a week of this i may start with a very thin layer of sawdust litter in the bottom. He still goes through the motions of covering it.
Thanks for all the help!