Cat Doesnt Like Carpet Flooring

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
EEC8C43E-9619-4AC2-9BD1-F5CA25161EF1.jpeg
88C7765C-9798-4E17-8C1E-F647DF23356A.jpeg
Hello,

My cat mostly lays down on the wood flooring in the hallway and on the main floor of the house. He just comes into my room(carpeted) to eat and get water. If he does lay down on my floor he smells the ground and then sprints out. Ive vacuumed the carpet and then when that didnt help i tried keeping the house at cooler temps to make sure its not just that hes cooling off on the wood floor. Still no luck. I clip his claws regularly so its not a matter of discomfort when he walks on it.

My only guess as to why he has this aversion to carpet is that it is a result of where i adopted him from. It was a house/vet(not a great situation) so the basement was all hard surfaces for sterilization purposes and the upstairs where the guy lived was carpeted. These litters of kittens were kept in wall-mounted cages in the basement vet area and my guess is that during socialization they were not allowed upstairs and were probably yelled at or scruffed and placed back downstairs when they reached the upstairs carpet. This could obviously be incorrect but this is my guess based on context.

Any ideas that im not considering?
Thanks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible he doesn’t like the feel of carpet or prefers the coolness of bare floors but I wonder whether it is something he is smelling. Was this carpet in your home before you moved in? I am just wondering if he is smelling someone else’s pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible he doesn’t like the feel of carpet or prefers the coolness of bare floors but I wonder whether it is something he is smelling. Was this carpet in your home before you moved in? I am just wondering if he is smelling someone else’s pet.
I had Mango’s sibling for 4 days before he passed of a congenital thing and then I adopted Mango. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this(maybe I didn’t want to remember, it was really sad:bawling2:) he must smell him.. I’m going to get the carpet shampooer out.

Annnnnd I’m crying. RIP Moose you lived like a king for the four days we had

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if he is smelling someone else’s pet.
Right. I would try using a carpet cleaner on the floor. It's possible he just doesn't like something he's smelling.