Cat doesn't like being brushed!

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time I try to brush my cat, she hits the brush away. Should I just stop brushing her or keep persisting even after she hits the brush?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of brush do you have? She may just not like the type.
No, I wouldn't persist with brushing her if she doesn't like it. It'll only make getting her used to it in the future harder.
Maybe practice petting her with your fingers straight down, kinda like the bristles on a brush.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you aren't brushing too hard, and start off with hand back massages and then slip in the brush with alternating hand/brush strokes.

I'd have some treats in your pocket for occasional reward as well. Soon enough, they should think its the most awesome thing ever and come running when you pull the brush out, I know these two do. They don't like their tummies brushed though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a brush like this: http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-6979258dt.jpg. Her previous owner used one with metal bristles, which she didn't like. Sometimes, when I am approaching her, I have to hide the brush behind me and then whip it out when she isn't looking lol.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one who will not let me comb him-we've tried different combs and brushes-though he's long haired and a comb is a must. We've tried bribing with treats. He doesn't even like when we comb the other cats and swats us for that too. For now he just gets sedated and shaved every few months-he gets matted because we can't comb him.