Cat distancing herself

Beenicole004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been acting so distant from me and I’m so concerned

here’s a little background before what I think might be the issue.
We recently got a kitten, Max 2-3 weeks ago my Nova 11month and him got along great they play with each other sleep and she even grooms him
On Friday I gave them baths because they had fleas and I wanted to clean them to put their collars on
Since then Nova hissed at max like she didn’t recognize him which I understand cause the scent is now gone.
so the next 2 days she still would hiss at him not hitting or biting him just hissing.

So the incident is they were both sitting on the couch with me and she snapped at him and I was afraid she would attack him and on me so I spanked her butt not hard at all just a hey stop it but she got scared and ran to the other room and I didn’t see her till dinner time.
fast forward to the next day and I’m crying cause my cat Wants nothing to do with me when I go near her she just ignores me and I carry her and kiss her pet her and she just wants to be alone she stopped purring when I pet her and she normally is all over me

will she forgive me ? Will she play with max again? He wants to play with her and he goes near her and she just hisses she was actually meaner when they first were introduced so I guess that’s good

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You got a new kitten, she had to have a bath and you disciplined her for reacting to the kitten. That is enough to make a cat stressed and not feel like being sociable and cuddly. She needs some extra tlc. I would find a time when she looks sleepy and relaxed, put the kitten in another room and give her some treats and attention. If she isn’t in the mood to have you touch her then try a treat like an Inaba Churu where she essentially needs to eat it from you, and repeat the next day.

I would never discipline her again by slapping her rump or interfere in her relationship with the kitten. Better to let them sort it out. She isn’t going to hurt him, but will let him know when she needs space or doesn’t like his play.