Cat Died Unexpectedly- Long Post

pennigrl22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my 8 year old cat passed away yesterday unexpectedly. Last Monday on 7/29 I took her to the vet bc she wasnt eating and she had vaginal discharge the vet said she had pyometra and needed surgery that day. He said she would be his last surgery so she would need to stay the night. He called me about 6pm that day to say that the surgery went well but that my cat was very dehydrated when she came in and her kidney enzyme levels were high so the next 24 hrs are critical and he would need to keep her there to give her fluids. The next day they call and tell me kitty is doing better she is eating, drinking, and moving around but they still need to give her fluids so she needs to stay one more night. On Wed we pick her up and she seems fine, she does seem a little disoriented bc she is walking around our house almost like she doesnt recognize it but eventually she is back to normal eating, drinking, using her litter box, jumping on and off the bed being her usual self. On Thursday she seems fine she lays in kitty bed around 10:30pm and about an hour later she woke up running into things, she was blind. On Friday morning I take her back to the vet they run lab work and do an exam and say that everything looks normal so they send me to an ophthalmologist. In the few hours between the vet and the eye doctor her balance is off and she is having a hard time standing. They do several eye test and say its not a vision problem but looks more like a neurological issue and suggest I take her to see a neurologist. Over the weekend she shows less interest in her food and was hardly drinking water, she was walking very low to the ground and running into walls. Yesterday morning(Wednesday) she died, I have no answers bc the vet doesnt seem to know what could have caused it, he claims that the surgery went well but I guess I will never know that either. I had an apt today to take her to the neurologist but my cat didnt make it so we never got to do that. We are heartbroken and I'm trying to wrap my head around what happened and how my healthy cat went in for pyometra surgery and a week later died.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pennigrl22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your cat. Everyone here understands the grief you feel.

Have you asked your vet about what happened? He probably has a better idea than any of us.

What was your cat’s name? I’ll light a candle for her tonight.
I did ask my vet he said he has never seen this happen and doesnt know what could have caused it. He said the surgery went well and he didnt really have any answers for me. Her name was London. Thank You

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so incredibly sorry about London :hugs:

Surgery always comes with risks, it's possible she may have had an underlying health issue that wasn't apparent that complicated her recovery. Without going through further testing, which you may not be prepared to do, there'd be no way to know for sure.

I see you're a new member to TCS. We have a forum area here, Crossing The Bridge, where you can post about London to honor her life and share memories and photos of of her if you are interested. Many of us find it helpful to share our loss with the community.

Crossing the Bridge

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry to read about London and I hope that it is some small consolation that you did try to do so much for her to help her recover. As for reasons, I am guessing at some other underlying health issue that might have been coexisting with the infection. That does not mean that you missed something by any means, especially if there were not any clear symptoms.

RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss.
Here in germany you have the possibility to ask your vet to send your pet to a lab for an autopsy. Maybe that would show what caused it? I know, it's not something for everyone

Emmerence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here but I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost one exactly like this a couple months ago. It happened after the first time she went into heat. Turned out she had Feline Leukemia so she had a weak immune system.