Cat Dictionary, Anybody?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thundering herd of elephants -- noises made by one or more cats zooming and/or chasing each other through a home.

'our jaspurr and the girls played thundering herd of elephants last night while i was trying to sleep.'
 Our kitties love  to do that! Usually when the humans are trying to sleep... 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured the Cat Dictionary is a cooperative effort.  Everybody adds a word, refines a definition or adds an example quotation as they are inspired.  :)

If "warble" or "trill" is that sound a cat makes that's not quite a "meow" and not quite a "purr" then I guess it counts.  In the end, I would say that consensus rules.  :)

Just for discussion, mind you...  If you said that your cat "warbled" I might think that she made that sound that cats often make when they are looking out the window and see a bird at the bird feeder.  ;)
I'd have said a trill is hello.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
• Another Cat - (noun) -- When you vacuum the carpet in the living room then, when you empty the vacuum cleaner, you find an impossibly huge volume of cat hair.

"I cleaned house, today, and vacuumed up enough cat hair to make another cat!"

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
• Another Cat - (noun) -- When you vacuum the carpet in the living room then, when you empty the vacuum cleaner, you find an impossibly huge volume of cat hair.

"I cleaned house, today, and vacuumed up enough cat hair to make another cat!"
Also known as "reupholster a kitten". or "a litter of kittens," as in, "I vacuumed enough hair to reupholster a litter of kittens!"

L'Heur de Leon or The Hour of the Lion   -- that time just before sunrise when your cat begins stalking gazelles at the waterhole (generally your bed), complete with short rushes and killing attacks on those gazelles (generally your feet).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
-splort- the sound you head makes exploding from the utter cuteness of a kitten, cat, or photograph therof.

-SPLORT ALERT- given when posting  such pictures

For my money,  almost all kitten photos (healthy, happy) should carry a splort alert

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There was a time when Hecate thought that was her name.
Re-reading this thread from the start, and laughing hysterically...there was a time my Ex thought the same thing, but his was"Dammitt Honey"

Last edited:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
STAPLING: When a cat makes biscuits very quickly in a stitch-like motion around your perimeter and the tips of their claws pop the blankets-- sounds like a staple gun sticking you down.

SQWISH: Canned (wet) cat food

PELLETS or KRUNCHRS: Dry cat food

ISH:  Noun: The normal cold, sometimes-slimy  wetness on the end of a happy cat's nose, similar to the sweaty palms we TwoLegs sometimes get when we're REALLY excited. Verb:  The action of a cat sticking said cold, slimy, wet nose against your neck or in your nostril, usually with a full-volume purr at 4 am because his food bowl's empty or he's cold and you're hogging all the blankets.

Usage:  "Oh, eww! Schrodie just ished me... he must be hungry!"