Cat Diagnosed With Diabetes, Plan To Reverse Diabetes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is important ask your vet what is the worst that will happen if ==
if I miss her insulin? You wouldn't do this on purpose but stuff happens. She won't die. Try not to miss or delay the time of the insulin, it's better if you don't.

What if I'm late giving her her insulin?

What if the power goes off? how long will the insulin stay good?

if she suddenly needs less insulin or doesn't eat enough for her dose and she's already gotten it -- not nearly as scary as you think. The vet told me to keep some kayo syrup just in case.

If I come home and she's unconscious what should I do?

What does it mean if she's suddenly wobbly and having trouble walking? (That happened to mine. Took her in. We decided to not give her the next insulin injection. The wobbling stopped. She had gone into remission. The alternative diagnose for wobbling would be that she needed to up her insulin dose. Had we done that, according to my vet, she would have passed out. Kayo syrup on her gums would have brought her back around. My information is from the mid-90s Things are probably different now. Do what your vet tells you. Medicine gets better in leaps and bounds. I'm posting this because you need to ask.

The answers are actually comforting.
Thank you so much! These are super important questions that I didn’t even crossed my mind, thank you soooo much :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I belong to the everything seems fine, lets go to bed = AWAKE with no one to call at 2am with dozens of questions club.

You can do this. Remember injection first then dinner. Don't want to scare her off of her food. Slow dieting is much easier on both of you than trying to get kit to eat.

If you live where there are tornadoes and you and kit hide in the basement, you'll want to buy a cold box with faux ice bricks (they are made of plastic you freeze them in your freezer. amazon has several examples, put this in the search Rbbermaid blue ice block by Rubbermaid. Scroll down there are several styles from $10 up) to keep her insulin in. When you get the storm watch, put her insulin and the ice in the box and take it down. Take her with the first hint of the warning. Make it a happy time for her with lots of talking, singing. If she's easy to crate play with her, if not keep her crated. You don't want her lost. You may be without power for a couple of days in a bad storm. Be prepared.

If she has a microchip write the company and tell them that she has diabetes and how much insulin she needs and what kind. That way if she's lost and is found the finder who gets her scanned will know what she needs while they wait for you to come get her.

I do have a human friend who was able to move from insulin dependent diabetes to diet and exercise by losing weight. Patience is the way to go.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just answers for the OP :)

This is important ask your vet what is the worst that will happen if ==
if I miss her insulin?

What if I'm late giving her her insulin?
It happens. One missed insulin shot will not harm your cat. Insulin ideally should be given every 12 hours but even then you have +/- an hour leeway. If you completely forget and its hours later, then just skip the insulin and resume again with the next dose.

What if the power goes off? how long will the insulin stay good?
Insulin should be kept refrigerated but room temperature of 70 F or so is fine. Don't freeze the insulin or expose it to hot temperatures.

You can buy insulin bottle protectors to keep the bottle from breaking if you accidentally drop it. Or wrap the bottle in bubble wrap.

if she suddenly needs less insulin or doesn't eat enough for her dose and she's already gotten it -- not nearly as scary as you think. The vet told me to keep some kayo syrup just in case.

If I come home and she's unconscious what should I do?

What does it mean if she's suddenly wobbly and having trouble walking?
Hypoglycemia. It's important that you test your cat before giving each insulin shot no matter how tired or late for work / school you may be. Blindly giving insulin is dangerous. Here's an example: my previous cat was diabetic. Normally he tests well above 200. One day I tested him and he was below 100, a normal blood glucose level. I skipped the insulin shot. Had I give him insulin without knowing what his level was, his blood glucose level would have dropped very low for the next 6 hours.

Here's a list of what to have on hand in case your cat ever becomes hypoglycemic:

Hypoglycemic (Hypo) Symptoms - Pet Health | Cat Health | Pet Supplies

Here's a list of questions to ask a vet:

Questions for your vet - tons of 'em!
Decisions, Decisions...choosing the right vet partner

Hopefully the OP has also gotten additional info, tips, and help from the FDMB :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just answers for the OP :)

It happens. One missed insulin shot will not harm your cat. Insulin ideally should be given every 12 hours but even then you have +/- an hour leeway. If you completely forget and its hours later, then just skip the insulin and resume again with the next dose.

Insulin should be kept refrigerated but room temperature of 70 F or so is fine. Don't freeze the insulin or expose it to hot temperatures.

You can buy insulin bottle protectors to keep the bottle from breaking if you accidentally drop it. Or wrap the bottle in bubble wrap.

Hypoglycemia. It's important that you test your cat before giving each insulin shot no matter how tired or late for work / school you may be. Blindly giving insulin is dangerous. Here's an example: my previous cat was diabetic. Normally he tests well above 200. One day I tested him and he was below 100, a normal blood glucose level. I skipped the insulin shot. Had I give him insulin without knowing what his level was, his blood glucose level would have dropped very low for the next 6 hours.

Here's a list of what to have on hand in case your cat ever becomes hypoglycemic:

Hypoglycemic (Hypo) Symptoms - Pet Health | Cat Health | Pet Supplies

Here's a list of questions to ask a vet:

Questions for your vet - tons of 'em!
Decisions, Decisions...choosing the right vet partner

Hopefully the OP has also gotten additional info, tips, and help from the FDMB :)
Thank you so so much! This is so very helpful! I’m taking screenshots and saving it on my phone In case of emergency.
I am so thankful for the support, kindness and compassion everyone has given me here, def fluffy and the less anxious me are soooo very grateful for all these well researched, budget friendly and kind advice

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Lts5, glad to see your answers. My cat had diabetes in the mid-90s and I didn't want to state things that were true then that have now changed. Feline medicine has made such amazing advances.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure I'm behind in the newest methods of treating feline diabetes. It's been about 10 years since my diabetic cat passed. New brands of low carb foods, new insulins and their dosing protocols, etc. The general basics are still useful.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I highly recommend joining the Feline Diabetic Support Group - they literally helped save my cats life! The problem with most vets is they will diagnose the diabetes and suggest an amount of insulin to shoot daily and send you on your way. The nice thing with the support group is they have 2 protocols they follow and they are all really smart and will guide you daily. Most of the members use a human meter and strips. I was using the relion confirm from walmart and the strips but my girl has been in remission now for almost a year so not sure if they are still suggesting that meter or not ( I remember reading something about the strips not being available but I could be wrong ). Get yourself an ankle sport sock and fill that with rice and tie it off. I used that and warmed it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and used that to warm up the ear first before using the lancet. Then sometimes if I couldn't get a blood drop I 'd hold the warm rice sock on the outside of the ear and pulse my finger against the ear and that would usually get the blood drop to form. It's critical to always test BEFORE You shoot insulin because you are always adjusting based off the number you get on the meter and the protocol you follow. I also got my cat off dry food immediately and only fed wet ( I use the Weruva cats in the kitchen ) they really like Funk in the Trunk flavor. Also a raw diet is really good as well. I also only give bottled water. Please take a look at the group, don't get scared off, there is ALOT of information to absorb and learn but trust me, it's a fantastic group who will guide you along the way and hopefully help you get your cat feeling good and controlled. oh - also I got my insulin from Marks pharmacy in Canada - the group suggests them and using the insulin pens vs. the vial ( unless you give a ton of insulin, you'll end up having to toss the vial long before you will use it ) so the pens are much more cost efficient.
Good luck!!! I was terrified when my cat was first diagnosed and then you become a pro and see them feeling better and it's all worth it!