Cat Demanding Petting And If Not Biting

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys i have a slight problem. My cat will often come to me and demand to be petted. If i am on my phone, he will push it with his head and rub his cheeks to spread his scent continiously. I very often give in and pet him for like 5 minutes. If i stop, he keeps going. If i only use 1 hand, he goes after my other hand and demands petting. Today after feeding him in the morning he did the same thing. I petted him but afterwards i put my hand infront of him as in telling him, hey i dont want to pet you anymore for now. He kept pushhing it and bit it quite hard. Its bleeding abit but its not a deep wound. How can i regulate petting? I really dont mind petting him but he never has enough and he responds with aggresion if his terms arent met.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be totally consistent and never give in to the biting. Maybe add a noise to signal you are done petting, like a finger snap or a clap and be totally consistent about not petting after the signal as well. And then when he bites, a loud "no!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be totally consistent and never give in to the biting. Maybe add a noise to signal you are done petting, like a finger snap or a clap and be totally consistent about not petting after the signal as well. And then when he bites, a loud "no!"

Should i remove my hand while he is next to me and do nothing or should i place him abit away from me to cool off?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should i remove my hand while he is next to me and do nothing or should i place him abit away from me to cool off?
The difficulty with timeouts is that they tend to not be associated with the bad behavior. It is more important to make 100% sure you don't provide any positive reinforcement for the bad behavior. So loud "no!," remove the hand and don't interact. Of course, you can remove the cat from your lap, the keyboard or wherever for your own sanity. Also prevents accidental positive reinforcement. Just don't expect a timeout to do anything by itself.